Home Forums SYSTEM FBG reflected spectrum

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Mohamed Elgaud
      Participant

Hello, why FBG keeps reflecting a part of the transmitted spectrum (which is supposed to be transmitted and not to appear in the reflected spectrum) when use it with CW laser? For example, in the case of CW wavelength is 1550 nm, and the FBG reference wavelength is 1551nm, the reflected spectrum from the FBG displayed in the OSA contains both of 1550 and 1551 in the same spectrum, what ever the FBG bandwidth is.
      . Thank you

Ashu verma
      Participant

A fiber Bragg grating is perturbation of refrective index in fiber core (may it periodic or non periodic)which reflect specific wavelength and transmit other.When ligth reflects from FBG it contains other frequencies also as you said,then try ideal FBG to simulate this. Bandwidth of FBG we take 3 times the data rate .
      e.g
      Data rate= 10Gbps then FBG BW is 30Ghz
      Hope it helps you
      And can you share your objective,if it would be possible.So that we can help you more
      Regards

Ravil
      Participant

Hi Mohamed,

I agree with Sam Sung that ideal FBG might work better for you. At the same time, can you, please, specify/clarify a few things about your question: what kind of FBG you have used in your scheme and what are the powers of the other reflected wavelengths? Please, attach your scheme as well if you can. It will help us to understand your project better…

Mohamed Elgaud
      Participant

Thank you very much guys, sorry for late replay, will attach the scheme soon and get your appreciated help.

Ravil
        Participant

You are welcome, Mohamed. As a forum member, I am glad to give you my advice when I can. I hope you have solved your issue by now!

Taiwo Ambali Abiola
      Participant

But which of the two FBGs is the one available in the market. Is it Ideal or Uniform FBG?. Or they are both available in the market?.

Thanks

Alessandro Festa
      Participant

The ideal is the perfect component to use for dispersion compensation. Being ideal, it is not really a commercial component, but the Dispersion Compensation Modules you find now on the market are very similar to that.

Ashu verma
      Participant

Welcome Mohamed,best of luck for the research.Any doubt share with forum members,you will surely get help.
      Hello Taiwo
      I am agree with Alessandro about the ideal FBG. FBG’s now available in market are close to ideal one,but cannot say these are ideal.As small losses are in every component.

Taiwo Ambali Abiola
      Participant

Ok, thanks alot both Alessandro and Sam sung

Alessandro Festa
      Participant

You are welcome Taiwo!

Ashu verma
      Participant

Welcome Taiwo,Best of luck for your future research.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.