Home Forums GENERAL Eye Diagram

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Aabid Baba
      Participant

Hi everyone,
      I have a query about one thing i would like to bring to your notice. When we check for( BER, Quality factor, threshold ) in an eye diagram , we come across this “amplitude(a.u)” on the right side of an eye diagram. Could anyone please tell me what is it exactly and for what??
      I have attached the screenshot.
      Responses would be appreciated.
      Thanks and Regards

Attachments:
      alistu
      Participant

Hi Aabid,

The a.u. mentioned in the BER analyzer is short for “amplitude unit”. It suggests that instead of using a unit for the signal (whether current or voltage), the unit has been considered in general. So it can be considered either and yet it does not make much difference in results suggested by BER analyzer.

Regards

Aabid Baba
      Participant

Hi Alistu,
      Thank you so much.
      I know it does not have any say in the results but what confuses me here is that i am checking quality factor of my signal with respect to the time of signal transmission as we can depict from the screenshot itself however what meaning does it have in this scenario and why the unit used is “m”. please can you explain it a bit further.

regards

alistu
        Participant

You’re welcome Aabid. The m (and sometimes u or k) used in the measurement do not have anything to do with the unit of the measurement, which was the a.u. explained in my former comment. They simply denote mili, micro or kilo. They are used here in the same application as they are widely used in such occasions.

Regards

Aabid Baba
          Participant

Hi Alistu,
          Thank you for the response. I very well got your point. I was confusing it with distance of fiber being taken into consideration. I believe now the doubt is clear.
          Regards

alistu
          Participant

You’re welcome.

Regards

Hi Aabid

Actually there are various parameters that are measured in Amplitude Units (AU),for example eye height it is defined as the 3σ distance between two neighboring eye levels and Eye Level is the amplitude level used to represent data bits, measured in Amplitude Units (AU). since it is amplitude it has to be measured in meters and hence the unit ‘m’. i am attaching a link that may prove helpful i hope.

Best Regards

Burhan

http://in.mathworks.com/help/comm/ref/commscope.eyediagram.html

Aabid Baba
        Participant

Hello Burhan Num mina llah,
        Thank you so much for your efforts. I accessed the link and it proved to be very very helpful. There can’t be any better site to understand the things related to eye diagram than this. It almost mentions every minute points about the eye diagram.
        Anyways i appreciate your effort.

Regards

Naazira Badar
      Participant

Hi Aabid..

Yes, Alistu and Burhan have rightly explained it.
      It’s the unit of ‘meters’ that we express those parameters in, eg. Eye height. And Amplitude Unit is meant to generalize the quantities under measurement.

Regards.

Aabid Baba
        Participant

Hi naazira,
        Thanks for the reply. I agree with them. Both have explained it very well and i got their point.

regards

Ranjeet Kumar
      Participant

Hellow aabid sir,

AU means Amplitude Units. It is the unit of representing Eye height. Eye Amplitude, measured in Amplitude Units (AU), is defined as the distance between two neighboring eye levels. For an NRZ signal, there are only two levels: the high level (level 1 in figure) and the low level.

http://in.mathworks.com/help/comm/ref/commscope.eyediagram.html?refresh=true

Aabid Baba
        Participant

Hi Ranjeet,
        Thanks for replying. I referred to the link as mentioned in previous comment as well. It is indeed very helpful.

regards

Hi Aabid

You are welcome. It gives immeanse satisfaction if any information of help from my side proves to be helpfull to someone. anyways its nice that u got the required information regarding Amplitude Units (AU) and the parameters like Eye Height and Eye level.

Best Regards

Burhan

Aabid Baba
        Participant

Hello burhan num mina llah,
        Indeed it was very helpful in various ways be it information sake , Matlab code sake.
        Thank you very much.
        Regards

Hi Aabid Baba

You are welcome. Matlab is always a saviour when we can’t implement anything through the components present already in our software and for me it has played a vital role in regards to my project and here it provided the basic information about the analyzer itself. A great tool indeed.

Best Regards

Burhan

Aabid Baba
        Participant

hi burhan num mina llah,
        Indeed. I completely agree with you on this. MATLAB is just providing a platform for implementing almost every component of our desire we wish to implement in other software especially in our case which is optisystem.
        regards

Hi Aabid

Yes indeed it is providing a Platform to do so, and in addition to this if we can link simulink model with matlab and call them indirectly in the matlab components in our optisystem software. It really leads to remarkable revolution in networks designs and hence provides flexibility to implement any possible idea for even the existing networks or communication system.

Regards

Burhan

Aabid Baba
        Participant

Hello burhan num mina llah,
        I second you on that. I personally have not used simulink to model any of my components yet but yeah i found interfacing different software models into optisystem a revolution in itself. It really has become flexible in fact because you can think of modelling any component in any domain now just like matlab or C++ and interface it easily for usage in optisystem.
        regards

Hello Aabid

I am trying to implement these beautiful concepts in my case. Hope i get the benefits we are mentioning and think of making such a difference in my case. Anyways a healthy and fruitful discussion it was. We indeed learnt a lot and ended it on a best note of benefits of Matlab, Simulink, C++. Awesome concepts to be benefitted from.

Best Regards

Burhan

Aabid Baba
        Participant

yes indeed.
        I like this forum concept that is why i actively participate here because you learn different and new things apart from your own research interest. I feel much versed to optisystem now than i was before joining the forum. Here you learn about the parameters inbuilt in components and know the various effects that may occur changing them. I overall like these discussion because they are constructive.
        Cheers ! and thanks !

Hi Aabid

You are absolutely right. I too learnt a lot from this forum. Both about my own field and about Communication area as well. It is great how researchers of different fields come together here to discuss and help each other wherever possible. Surely a constructive thing.

Yes, I would try to know about that.

Cheers.
      Regards.

Aabid Baba
        Participant

indeed burhan num mina llah..!
        cheers (y)

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.