Home Forums SYSTEM Eye diagram

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Rohan katti
      Participant

I am working in all optical digital encoders. At the output bits i have got the eye diagram and the BER patterns which i have attached here.
      1) What inference can i draw from the BER pattern which i have obtained?
      2) How can i calculate the extinction ratio from the eye diagram plot ?

Attachments:
      Damian Marek
      Participant

Rohan,

1) The BER pattern is a simple tool that gives a spatial visualization of the BER as a function of decision instant and threshold. The decision instant is the x axis generally a fraction of the bit period and the threshold is the y axis. You will also notice on the sidebar of the window that it gives a BER for the 5 different BER patterns. Basically it tells you for a given decision instant and threshold value that lie within the pattern, then you are more or less guaranteed the corresponding BER.

2) From wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extinction_ratio you can use the highest and lowest part of the eye diagram to calculate the extinction ratio.

Let me know if this helps!

Rohan katti
      Participant

Thank You very much for the reply.
      Regarding the BER pattern , is the shape any matter of concern because in an encoder design for every output bit i get BER as zero but the shape differs.
      Also you have mentioned about threshold. so can i know for which parameter is that threshold for?

Damian Marek
        Participant

To answer your first question I would have to look at your project. If your BER is 0, I don’t think the BER pattern will tell you much. IS the BER 0 for all the patterns?

The threshold is the value that the BER Analyzer will use decide whether a detected signal is a binary 1 or 0. You can manually change it by right clicking the component and go to Component Properties and changing it.

Regards

Rohan katti
      Participant

Very Sorry for the delay. I am designing all optical Gray code to binary code conversion using Mach- Zehndr Interferometer. By adjusting the delay between the arms of the MZI i am getting the BER as zero for all bits. For one of the bit i dint get it as zero but was reaching to zero very very small value so i added an EDFA before combining the outputs of the MZI and i got the BER as zero for that bit also.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.