Home Forums FDTD Error on the Input Plane

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Syafiq Ramli
      Participant

Hi admin 🙂 , I’ve done follow some of the video on the Advance Application of designing 3D implementation of Ring Resonator but somehow due to some problem I might encountered some of the issue . As of in the file below , I might be a little dissapointed due to the Input Plane 1 still projected in line of the X axis . I can’t really find the best way to project the optical pulses along the straight waveguide . If may i ask why would this be happening ?

Attachments:
      Scott Newman

Syafiq,

It would appear that you are running a 2D simulation and using a x-directed input plane instead of the z-directed one. Can you please attach the fdt file you are using.

Scott

Syafiq Ramli
      Participant

Hi Scott Newman , I do appreciate your concern due to my problem . Here is my .fdt file that may need your guidance . Thank you once again for your time I do really appreciate it.

Attachments:
      Scott Newman

Syafiq,

It is not an error in the input plane but in the design of your structure. You have a waveguide consisting of PMMA on top of Si sitting on a substrate of Si. Where precisely do you expect the light to be localized because the power injected into the waveguide will leak into the substrate and as such the mode solver is having issues finding the mode. Do you perhaps mean to have the substrate as SiO2?

As a secondary concern you are using a mesh resolution that is far too coarse. The auto setting ensures that you are getting a mesh resolution of 1/10 lambda to give you numerical stability for the source, this is the coarsest you should ever use. If you are going to use a custom setting it must be a mesh size smaller than the auto setting.

Scott

+1
      Syafiq Ramli
      Participant

Okay sir I do really appreciate your idea and your kind reply onto that . Yup alraight I will try done as followed with using the substrate SiO2 . Thank you very much sir 🙂

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.