Home Forums SYSTEM EDFA/ASE Filtering and Modeling

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      jlstay
      Participant

Hello!

First time user here. I am currently evaluating the tools from Optiwave. Before I jump right in, I would like to get some direction from the community. Is OptiSystem the correct tool to use to model Erbium based amplifiers and ASE sources? I’d like to see how well the tooling aids in designing such sources in terms of fiber types, fiber lengths, split ratios, configurations, etc. In addition how the power spectral density changes after additional optical components such as splitters, filtering, etc. The objective here is really two fold: modeling of the ASE generation, the erbium-based amplification, and optical circuit response given some power spectral density input.

Any links to some good example code, tutorials, or other information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Damian Marek
      Participant

Hi jlstay,

As an application engineer at Optiwave, I’d say OptiSystem is a perfect tool for simulating Er based fiber amplifiers and ASE sources!

More seriously, we support double-cladded fibers, multimode fibers and co-doped fibers. There is also the ability to model higher order effects such as ion-ion interactions and Rayleigh scattering. These are just some of the capabilities off the top of my head. ASE generation and any type of amplification configuration are completely possible.

We also have a number of passive components such as couplers, splitters, and filters, to aid in a system design. I suggest you take a look at the tutorials/examples we have on our website at the following link:

Analysis of Gain and Noise in Erbium doped fiber

Of course if you have any other questions (general or specific) feel free to ask me or anyone else on the forum.

Regards

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.