Home Forums GENERAL EDFA black box

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      koll
      Participant

1)How does the EDFA black box fixed gain in the gain controlled mode?

2)And for power-controlled, is it controlling the input power or pump power? And How it control the power in power-controlled mode?

alistu
      Participant

Hi Koll,

I suggest that you go through the help section of the EDFA black box, as there is an extensive and comprehensive explanation of the function performance there with relations there.

Regards

koll
      Participant

Hi Alistu

My opticsystem expired. So I can’t access it anymore.

Alessandro Festa
      Participant

1) In controlled gain mode, the EDFA operates with a fixed gain G, which means that the output power will alwaus be Pout=Pin+G
      2) In power controlled mode, the EDFA output power is fixed, no matter the input power (obviously Pin must be less than Pout!). So it is not controllin input power or pump power, but it automatically adjust pump power to reach the desired Pout.

koll
        Participant

Thank you Alessandro,

Another questions

1)What will be the output optical power level of the EDFA with input 1550 nm power when the 980 nm pump light is completely turned off?

Alessandro Festa
          Participant

1) It depends on the Erbium fiber length…the longer the active fiber, the lower the output power when pump is off

2) Erbium fiber length must be optimized & you can use GFF (gain flattening filter) to equalize the wavelengths at the output of the EDFA.

koll
          Participant

1) It depends on the Erbium fiber length…the longer the active fiber, the lower the output power when pump is off

Do you have an example? Thank you.

koll
      Participant

Thank you!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.