Home Forums FDTD How to draw a 3D structure with Gaussian shape in the OptiFDTD designer ?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Jian Cheng
      Participant

Hey guys,

I am doing some EM simulations using the OptiFDTD sofware. When I am building the 3D subjects in the model, it is found that only several specific 3D shapes such as Sphere, Block, Ellipsoid and Cylinder are incorporated in the software. However, I want to investigate the scattering property of a Gaussian shape subject. So, can you guys tell me whether it is possible to draw a Gaussian shape subject directly or using a Gaussian equation.

Thank you very much in advance!

Cheers,
      Jian

Aurelien Duval
      Participant

Hi,

It’s not directly possible to draw a Gaussian shape. Since it’s driven by an equation, what you can do is define a script that would place “atom” objects at the points defined by your shape. If you have enough objects, the approximation by this discretization is in the same order of magnitude of the approximation of the FDTD algorithm and so there is no loss of information.

We can give you hand if needed in defining your geometry if you use our trial version (OptiFDTD 12) or if you are under active subscription.

Aurelien

Jian Cheng
        Participant

Hi Aurelien,

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. Your suggestion is definitely a possible approach to effectively achieve a Gaussian geometry.

I will try it soon and thank you again for your kind help!

Bests,
        Jian

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.