Home Forums SYSTEM DML

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Jaime Romero Huedo
      Participant

I’m trying to use a Directly Modulated LASER, but I don’t know how to configure its bandwidth. What parameters should I configure to set the laser’s bandwidth, for example, with a 3 dB bandwidth of 7.75 GHz?

Ahmad Atieh

Dear Jaime,
      You could use the optical spectrum analyzer to measure the laser linewidth. The DM laser has two modes of operation: digital and analog. You may try to control the DM laser parameters in the “Measurement” tab in the component properties window to control its bandwidth. The optical linewidth can be used to calculate the electrical linewidth.
      You may use the new component (Electrical Transfer Function Visualizer) in OptiSystem 20 to measure the laser frequency response in a setup.
      Regards,
      Ahmad

Ahmad Atieh

Dear Jaime,
      You could use the optical spectrum analyzer to measure the laser linewidth. The DM laser has two modes of operation: digital and analog. You may try to control the DM laser parameters in the “Measurement” tab in the component properties window to control its bandwidth. The optical linewidth can be used to calculate the electrical linewidth.
      You may use the new component (Electrical Transfer Function Visualizer) in OptiSystem 20 to measure the laser frequency response in a setup.
      Regards,
      Ahmad

Sawyer Ge

Sorry, I was referring to 7.75 GHz as the modulation bandwidth, not the spectral linewidth. Can you tell how can I set the modulation bandwidth of the DML??

Tami Lehrer

Sorry, I was referring to 7.75 GHz as the modulation bandwidth, not the spectral linewidth. Can you tell how can I set the modulation bandwidth of the DML??

Sawyer Ge

I am attaching a screenshot to clarify my question. I am simulating this laser and I want it to have a modulation bandwidth of 7.75 GHz. I am performing the simulation in sweep mode from 200 MHz to 15 GHz with a step of 200 MHz. However, I always get an ideal bandwidth. I am attaching a comparison with a MATLAB plot showing the desired results.

Tami Lehrer

I am attaching a screenshot to clarify my question. I am simulating this laser and I want it to have a modulation bandwidth of 7.75 GHz. I am performing the simulation in sweep mode from 200 MHz to 15 GHz with a step of 200 MHz. However, I always get an ideal bandwidth. I am attaching a comparison with a MATLAB plot showing the desired results.

Ahmad Atieh

Could you please email me the project as a zip file to ahmad.atieh@optiwave.com? I need to check the settings of all components that you have.
      Also, let me know the version of OptiSystem that you use.

Ahmad Atieh

Could you please email me the project as a zip file to ahmad.atieh@optiwave.com? I need to check the settings of all components that you have.
      Also, let me know the version of OptiSystem that you use.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.