Home Forums SYSTEM Direct modulation of laser

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      muhammad jawad
      Participant

Dear colleagues
      By direct modulation of a directly modulated laser by a sine signal, we get multiple coherent carriers as shown in upper spectrum analyzer. In the same, way on direct modulation of a VSCEL as shown in lower plot in attached figure, i do not get multiple carriers. Please tell me what is the issue and how to correct it.
      I will be highy obliged
      Regards

Attachments:
      Ahmad Atieh

Dear Muhammad,
      you have to be careful when setting the VCSEL. The modulation peak current setting affects the relaxation oscillation of the VCSEL and the modulating signal frequency affects the VCSEL output signal. It can be distorted after 2.5Gbps.
      Regards,
      Ahmad

muhammad jawad
      Participant

Please sir tell me, in order to operate VCSELs like DMLs, we have to find its LI characteristics curve and then bias it at the half of the middle point of the LI curve?

muhammad jawad
      Participant

Sir i have drawn a LI curve at 1 Gbps data, Modulation peak current =10mA, Bias current sweeps from 0 to 25mA. I gets a circular type curve as shown in Fig attached. How to get a linear straight curve like DML laser so that VCSEL can be biased at middle of this linear region?

Attachments:
      Ahmad Atieh

Dear Muhammad,
      you may use the measured VCSEL because it give more freedom to control the laser specs.
      Regards,
      Ahmad

muhammad jawad
      Participant

ok sir thanks

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.