Home Forums GENERAL Difference between Electrical and Optical Duobinary

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Shahid
      Participant

What is the Difference between Electrical and Optical Duobinary modulation?

alistu
      Participant

Hi Shahid,

If you are referring to “optical duobinary transmitter” and “duobinary pulse generator”, I suggest you take a look at the sample files “Optical Duobinary Transmitter” and “duobinary pulse generator” to see how they can be used to generate duobinary signals in RF and optical domains.

Regards

Shahid
      Participant

Actually I was reading the attached paper. There the author refers the Duobinary as Optical and Electrical. In fact he names the electrical as PSBT. But if you look at the examples of Optisystem, the one he refers as Electrical PSBT is shown as Optical Duobinary in the examples.
      so im confused?

Attachments:
        alistu
        Participant

I think it has merely been referred to the electrical modulation format in that paper, since PSBT is a type of digital modulation and it can either be electrical or optical. It is usually used in optical systems like non-return-to-zero modulation format is used in optical systems, though.

Shahid
      Participant

Dear Alitsu I agree with your comment. Actually some papers refer to the Duobinary and PSBT as the same modulation. OK we agree with that statement but still the question remain how to differentiate between Electrical and Optical DuoBinary?.
      In the attached even he provides the different system block diagram for both.

alistu
        Participant

If you are referring to what is shown in figure 1 one the paper, there are electrical and optical PSBT and then optical duobinary. So the paper does not refer to them as the same modulation type in my perception and if it does, it is an obvious mistake since they are different even though PSBT is derived from duobinary.

Regards

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.