Home Forums SYSTEM Cost Analysis of a designed system

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author

Hello,

Almost at the end of my thesis work i want to start up with the cost analysis of my proposed architecture. Can someone please help me in how to go for the cost analysis of any design.
      What are the things that we may consider for going for cost analysis of the system. Can someone provide me with a paper where it has been done. I will be grateful.
      Thanking in advance.

Regards

Burhan

Can someone atleast please share some paper of optical fiber communication where cost analysis is included. i would really appreciate that.

Regards

+1
      Naazira Badar
      Participant

hi burhan nun mina llah

it is surely a necessary aspect of any product design.
      here i am posting the link to an IEEE paper on life-cycle cost analysis. i hope it helps you.

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/freeabs_all.jsp?arnumber=5270241&abstractAccess=no&userType=inst

Regards
      Naazira Badar

+3

Hi Naazira,

Thank you fro your concern. I appreciate your help. Indeed it has become an important aspect of any designed system now and also an important part of research work. I would go through it hope it will help.

Regards

Burhan

+3
      Naazira Badar
      Participant

Hi Burhan num mina llah..

you are welcome. are you trying to do cost analysis of any product or design?
      Surely, before even asking for funding, one needs to be aware of the cost budget of the system.
      If budget exceeds the available financial assistance, one could face hick ups. All the best.

Best Wishes

Naazira Badar

Hello Naazira,

Thank you for showing such concern. Actually i want to do the cost analysis for my proposed architecture. I need to check the implementation cost before implementation.
      Anyways thanks for your time. I highly appreciate.

Regards

Burhan

+2

Hello Burhan

I am little bit confused about your query. Do you mean link budget / power budget by the cost analysis here?
      If so then i would like to mention that Link budget and power budget are two different things but are related to each other. A data link will only operate if the cable plant loss is within the power budget of the link.
      The terms “power budget” and “loss budget” are often confused. The power budget refers to the amount of loss that a datalink (transmitter to receiver) can tolerate in order to operate properly. Sometimes the power budget has both a minimum and maximum value, which means it needs at least a minimum value of loss so that it does not overload the receiver and a maximum value of loss to ensure the receiver has sufficient signal to operate properly.
      The link budget is the amount of loss that a cable plant should have. It is calculated by adding the average losses of all the components used in the cable plant to get the total estimated end-to-end loss. The link budget has two uses, 1) during the design stage to ensure the cabling being designed will work with the links intended to be used over it and 2) after installation, comparing the calculated loss to test results to ensure the cable plant is installed properly.
      For your reference i am attaching the link which might help you in calculating link budget in FTTH networks.
      http://scialert.net/fulltext/?doi=rjit.2010.127.138&org=10

Thanks

+6
        Aabid Baba
        Participant

Hello Hamza Ali Abbas Khan,
        I think this is entirely different topic. It is related to losses in the communication system and about the power requirement. You have already mentioned that the power budget refers to the amount of loss that a datalink (transmitter to receiver) can tolerate in order to operate properly and the link budget is the amount of loss that a cable plant should have. It is calculated by adding the average losses of all the components used in the cable plant to get the total estimated end-to-end loss.
        So it is clearly related to the losses and the power requirement. I guess Burhan Num Mina Llah has asked about the cost of her design. For that matter you can think of total cost for the design implementation. I hope you understand. Anyways thanking you.
        Regards

+1
      umer ashraf wani
      Participant

instead of calculating cost due to each component u can represent ur design cost by an empirical formula which can be calculated
      from ur proposed architecture. and this equation can be used by different vendors to calculate the cost.
      regards
      umer ashraf

Aabid Baba
      Participant

Hello Everyone,
      This is an very important aspect of any design and it would be worth discussing.
      Umer Ashraf do you mean that we need to devise the empirical formula for our design on our own or it is some common expression given?
      If so can you help in that regard i mean how we derive that formula for our system. I will be highly appreciable.
      Regards

+1
      umer ashraf wani
      Participant

Dear abid it is pure mathematical modelling
      If u know numerical methods then u can do it.
      Regards
      Umer ashraf

Aabid Baba
      Participant

Hello Umer,
      Thank you for the valuable inputs. Shall look into it.

Regards

Nur1990
      Participant

hello..sorry for interrupt you guys… can anyone help me to solve my problem. actually i use numerical method (split step fourier method) in matlab to prove the effect of fiber losses, dispersion and non-linearity in optical soliton and also need to compare that result with optisystem. actually, i already got the result from optisystem for fiber losses, dispersion and SPM. i compared the effect of fiber losses (alpha), GVD (beta2), and SPM (gamma) based on the 3 physical length. (i picked 10km, 20km, and 30km).but here, i need to tally the result with matlab (split step fourier method) n must be the same result with optisystem. i try to change the coding, but it failed. since i picked 3 physical length in optisystem result, so i need to setup the same physical length in matlab coding to test the effect of fiber losses, GVD,and SPM.. i hope you guys help me to solve this problem.. i tired to thinking how to solve this problem. here i attached the coding and the result from optisystem.

Nur1990
      Participant

matlab coding

Nur1990
      Participant

optisystem result

Hello Nur,

Cannot open your attachment as i dont have access to the tool today as it is a holiday today.
      Shall try to open it once i get access to the tool.

Regards

Burhan

Hi All

Thank you for your responses. I appreciate your efforts.

Regards

Burhan

Aabid Baba
      Participant

Hello Everyone,
      Thanks for sharing but please try making it more of a discussion rather than copying and pasting. Please refrain from this. It is not good. Thanking you.
      Regards

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.