Home Forums SPICE Converting mV to pulses in OptiSPICE 5.0

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Sylwia Kojtek
      Participant

Could it be possible to determine the optical power of the diode in pulses? Value or time waveform.

Best regards,
      S.K.

I assume by diode you mean photodiode and you want to control it’s output power using pulses (voltage). In this case yes you can using pulse width modulation (PWM).Photodiodes response is usually slow therefore it takes the average of the input train of pulses, if the pulses are short enough. For example, consider a train of pulses with (0 as GND) and (1 as 5V) and the pulse width is short enough. In this case, if the input sequence is (111111), then the output from the diode will be equivalent to (5V input “the average of the sequence”). And if the input sequence is 101010 which corresponds to (5V-0V-5V-0V-5V-0V), then the diode will average this sequence and give you an output corresponding to this ~2.5V. I hope this answers your question.

I assume by diode you mean photodiode and you want to control it’s output power using pulses (voltage). In this case yes you can using pulse width modulation (PWM).Photodiodes response is usually slow therefore it takes the average of the input train of pulses, if the pulses are short enough. For example, consider a train of pulses with (0 as GND) and (1 as 5V) and the pulse width is short enough. In this case, if the input sequence is (111111), then the output from the diode will be equivalent to (5V input “the average of the sequence”). And if the input sequence is 101010 which corresponds to (5V-0V-5V-0V-5V-0V), then the diode will average this sequence and give you an output corresponding to this ~2.5V. I hope this answers your question.

Sylwia Kojtek
      Participant

Thank you,

Do you know how to plot the current-voltage characteristics of the laser diode shown in the attached figure in program OptiSPICE version 5.2?

Sylwia Kojtek
      Participant

Thank you,

Do you know how to plot the current-voltage characteristics of the laser diode shown in the attached figure in program OptiSPICE version 5.2?

Hi,

Yes you can plot the I-V characteristics of the Laser. You should replace the pulse source with the DC source and sweep the DC voltage. Put a resistor in series to DC source and the Laser. Put one resistor with very high resistance (1000k Ohm) in parallel to the Laser. Put one probe to the Pin of the laser (direction of going into the laser) to measure the current going through laser as a function of swept vdc source. Put another probe to the wire connecting resistor to measure the voltage across (which is equal to the voltage across Laser).
      The schematic of the testing circuit is attached along.
      Hope this answers your question.

Hi,

Yes you can plot the I-V characteristics of the Laser. You should replace the pulse source with the DC source and sweep the DC voltage. Put a resistor in series to DC source and the Laser. Put one resistor with very high resistance (1000k Ohm) in parallel to the Laser. Put one probe to the Pin of the laser (direction of going into the laser) to measure the current going through laser as a function of swept vdc source. Put another probe to the wire connecting resistor to measure the voltage across (which is equal to the voltage across Laser).
      The schematic of the testing circuit is attached along.
      Hope this answers your question.

Sylwia Kojtek
      Participant

Hi,
      Thank you very much for your answer, the characteristics of the IV Laser are the same as those of its measurements.

Regards,
      Sylwia Kojtek

Sylwia Kojtek
      Participant

Hi,
      Thank you very much for your answer, the characteristics of the IV Laser are the same as those of its measurements.

Regards,
      Sylwia Kojtek

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.