Home Forums BPM Conformal Mapping Power results all over the place

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Paul Hill
      Participant

Hi,

I am modelling curves in a rectangular waveguide using conformal mapping in OptiBPM but getting very strange results in the Power Overlap Integral and Relative Power data sets (which I believe to be how to check for bending losses). At first I thought it was a scripting issue and the variable wasn’t changing properly but I have since did the simulations manually, where I change the Radius of curvature at first 100s of microns at a time then nanometres at a time and found that the power loss fluctuated around the same value no matter what.

My first script from 400-1150 micron bends all gave almost no loss, my second script from 1150-2200 all gave a constant ~75% loss. I thought I was perhaps missing the range with which the critical bend loss occurs, so then I simulated 1156.1 which stayed at ~75% loss then 1156.01 then 1156.001 all stayed at ~75% loss. So I then re-simulated the 1150 RoC bend and found that it was now showing ~75% loss instead of the previous value of nearly zero loss.

I find this very confusing and feel like something in the simulation must not be set up correctly but I have no idea why this would cause the simulation results to change from run to run.

Thanks,

Paul.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.