Home Forums KNOWLEDGE Computer Configuration [FDTD]

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Damian Marek
      Participant

Question:

On my current computer, running my simulation takes up to half a day. Unfortunately, I cannot reduce the simulation domain or mesh resolution for my project. If I were to upgrade my computer what options would you recommend?

Damian Marek
      Participant

Answer:

The configuration will really depend on your budget and intended use. If it’s really long simulations or 24/7 usage, then you’ll have to go with some server grade equipment. If you only need simulations from time to time, then look for a high end consumer grade computer (like a gaming pc for example).

The most crucial component is memory. You’ll need plenty (at least 16 GB, even more if you need to simulate bigger domains and finer meshes). To run really lengthy simulations or sweeps, you should look for so-called ECC memory. It’s more expensive, but the memory can correct small errors that are likely to happen from time to time (especially when running 24/7).

Since we can use multicore processors, the more the better. You should look for processors having the most cache memory as it will increase the computation speed by a non-negligible factor. That’s why we recommend Xeon-type processors more than mainstream i5’s or i7’s.

If you have the budget, then a great way to speed up the process is by using a cluster of networked Linux x64 computers.

I am using the latest FDTd and unfortunately still crashed, and my ram is 6 GB and my cpu is i3, I am using 32 bit fdtd but my windows is 64 bit, would you please help to upgrade the ftdt? i tried alot but still it is in 32 bit and is it the cause that my computer is crashed? however in bpm also I have alot crashes.

Damian Marek
        Participant

If you are a licensed user of OptiFDTD and your maintenance has not expired you can upgrade for free. However, if you are using our freeware version of OptiFDTD then you will have to purchase a license. Please email info@optiwave.com.

As for your crashing problem, are there any errors that pop up? The 32 bit version is limited to 4 GB, how large is your mesh and simulation domain? In the simulation parameters window it will provide an estimation of how much memory is needed.

Regards

so you advice me to use 64 bit? I suppose to ask bout it, I am using the mesh as default i did not change anything but my computer got hot in place of CPU and RAM, may be I have problem with my design? please let me know, my computer is windows 8.1, 6 GB ram DDR 3, core i3 (Intel) first generation. my windows is 6 4bit as well. 🙁

Damian Marek
        Participant

Using the 64 bit version allows for much larger simulations with finer resolution of meshing, but the 32 bit version should not be crashing. Can you reproduce the crashing, say by running a particular project file does it repeatedly crash?

Regards

mohammed mostafa
      Participant

upgrade the computer by raising its processor core i5 (Intel) and ram which is more important (not less 4 gb)

in my case my computer is core I3, but some of the times my bpm verison 11 crashes! specially for 3d simulation or elecrooptical simulations, should I re install it? may thanks

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.