Home Forums SYSTEM co/counter raman over bi-directional single-strand

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Tim Durack
      Participant

I have created a simple 4-channel 10GBASE-DWDM system over bi-directional single strand using co/counter raman. The only thing missing from the simulation is a circulator on either end to split tx/rx for fbg dcm. (The bi-directional fiber component means I don’t need this in the simulation.)

Any constructive criticism on the simulation?

Damian Marek
      Participant

Hi Tim,

I think this is a great project design. One thing you could do to make sure your design is robust is simulate the effect of self phase modulation (and XPM) on the signals. I noticed that the output power was around 6 mW, which could be large enough to make a difference on the BER. SPM/XPM could have an even more important effect since you are using dispersion compensation in the design.

Try replacing the Raman Amplifer fiber with the Bidirectional Optical Fiber component (there is an option in the component properties for enabling Raman scattering). You might be sacrificing simulation speed, but the model also includes SPM/XPM, which will increase the accuracy!

Cheers,
      Damian

Tim Durack
      Participant

I tried replacing with Bidi Optical fiber component and enabling raman gain under non-linearities, but I no longer see gain. Did I miss something?

Damian Marek
        Participant

Hi Tim,

I just came back from a show in California and I am returning to some forum questions. Did you find any errors with the design? I am going to dig back into this project and see what I can find!

Regards

Tim Durack
      Participant

I have not been able to make this simulation work with the bidi fiber component, only with the raman component.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.