Home Forums SYSTEM Circulator

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author
      Ranjeet Kumar
      Participant

Hi everyone,
      Can anyone explain the physical significance of Circulator and its different parameters. how could i chose its parameters value for optimum results in OFDM PON. WHAT IS noise threshold. What is its contemporary components in optisystem. How to set its operating wavelength in design whether it will be same as wavelength of 1st transreceiver.
      Please explain in details.

ZULKARNAIN
      Participant

Hi ranjeet…
      Well i think i can’t explain all the things you asked,but i will try to give idea of some terms you asked.
      An optical circulator is a special fiber-optic component that can be used to separate optical signals that travel in opposite directions in an optical fiber, analogous to the operation of an electronic circulator. So circulators can be used to achieve bi-directional transmission over a single fiber.
      For your reference i am attaching few links which might be helpful to you.
      1.https://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi_9Oy9z7PLAhWP1I4KHQZRDvkQFggbMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Foptiwave.com%2Fforums%2Ftopic%2Fcirculator%2F&usg=AFQjCNFi4JYI3b_o_KcaUjQ3-YIeiPwsUg&sig2=22_D_2-7YKL7Kw8MubQABg

2.https://optiwave.com/forums/topic/practical-noise-in-lasers/

umer syed
      Participant

hi ranjeet,

the optical circulator works as as that of circulATOR IN THE MICROWAVE,AND IS used to separate optical signals that travel in opposite directions in an optical fiber.(ESPECIALLY IN BIDIRECTIONAL FIBER SYSTEM).

WITH REGARDS

aasif bashir dar
      Participant
      Aabid Baba
      Participant

Hello ranjeet,
      Can you please explain what is the exact problem with your circulator ??
      i Know its somewhere related to the downstream and upstream scenario… I guess you are getting null output at the circulator output after feeding a signal at the input…is it so??

Regards

Ranjeet Kumar
      Participant

Hi Aabid sir,
      I have problem in designing bi-directional OFDM PON , Here i am uploading unidirectional OFDM PON , please suggest or if possible make some necessary changes in it. i want to design it like WDMPON.

Attachments:
      aasif bashir dar
      Participant

hi ranjeet ,
      if you are using bidirectional fiber link, then you have to use delay element and seep iteration and index value..

with regards

aasif bashir dar
      Participant

here is the link:

Lesson 7: Optical Amplifiers — Designing Optical Fiber Amplifiers and Fiber Lasers

this link will help you in regard of using the delay elements with optical circulator for birectional fiber link.

with regards

Aabid Baba
        Participant

Hello asif,
        The link you posted can be really helpful for him if he wishes to implement his system this way. I am not able to open his osd file. However, i have attached an pdf file for further reference. Hope he gets his problem solved.
        regards

Aabid Baba
      Participant

hello ranjeet,
      I initially came across the same problem and it is actually about the bidirectionality . What i would suggest you here is going through lesson 5 of the optiwave tutorial where they have mentioned about parameters about signal index and layout iteration parameter. All you need to do is go through lesson 5 and i hope it will be very helpful because i got every confusion cleared.
      Please find the attachment herewith.

regards

aasif bashir dar
      Participant

hi ranjet,
      the .osd file is still not opening(same problem as i mentioned above)

Tanveer
      Participant

Hi ranjeet,
      Optical circulator minimizes the loss of light. An optical circulator is a device used in optical communications systems, which can be used to separate optical signals that travel in opposite directions in an optical fiber, analogous to the operation of an electronic circulator.
      Circulator is most widely used for bidirectional networks. If you check the library it is present in the passive component library and you will 3 types of circulators present there.
      Thanks and regards

Fady
      Participant

Hi Ranjeet,
      Why you are using OFDM OS12 components in your work. You should use the new OFDM components to get better BER results.

Ranjeet Kumar
      Participant

Hi AAsif sir,
      Here i am uploading unidirectional OFDM PON of 4 user. Please help me to design this osd file to Birectinal one.
      seeking for your quick response.

Attachments:
      Ranjeet Kumar
      Participant

Thanks Aabis sir,
      For making things clear and helping me. I have read it.

Aabid Baba
        Participant

you are welcome ranjeet.
        Cheers!

SAHIL SINGH
      Participant

Hi all…
      i have a query about the functionality of the circulator..Can i use circulator instead of the power combiner ??
      it also adds up two signals at its two inputs so can it be possible to use it for adding two signals….i am new to optisystem…please tell me if i am doing it correctly…
      thanks in advance

Hi Sahil Singh

An optical circulator is a component that can be used to separate optical power that travels in opposite directions in one single fiber. An optical circulator is a three-port device that allows light to travel in only one direction from port 1 to port 2, then from port 2 to port 3.
      As is evident from the definition above and mentioned by Fayiqa in earlier comment i believe it acts as an isolator but not as a power combiner.

Best Regards

Burhan

Rajguru M. Mohan
      Participant

Hi Ranjeet,
      ptical Circulators are non-reciprocating, one-directional, three port devices which are great for bidirectional propagation
      of light in a single fiber.In fiber optical networks passive components such as optical isolators are essential for delivering of signals with minimum loss. Another type of passive element that is commonly used in fiber optic systems is the optical circulator. These devices that are used to direct the optical signal from one port to another port and in one direction only. This action prevents the signal from propagating in an unintended direction. Optical circulators have continued to increase their presence in a broad array of applications, including optical amplifiers, optical add and drop systems, dense wavelength-division multiplexing (DWDM Mux) networks and, optical time domain reflectometers (OTDRs).n a 3-port circulator a signal is transmitted from port 1 to port 2, another signal is transmitted from port 2 to port 3 and, finally, a third signal can be transmitted from port 3 to port 1. The name derives from the fact that a signal is transmitted from Port 1 to Port 2, another signal can be transmitted from Port 2 to Port 3 and, finally, a signal can be transmitted from Port 3 to Port 1. In practice, one or two ports are used as inputs and the third port is used as the output.

Thanks,

Rajguru M. Mohan
      Participant

Hi,
      As Optical circulators are important components in optical fiber communication.
      Optical circulators can be used to achieve bi-directional optical signal transmission over a single fiber. Optical circulators is commonly used in WDM networks, polarization mode dispersion, chromatic dispersion compensation, optical add-drop modules (DWDM OADM), optical amplifiers, OTDR and fiber sensing applications. Fiberstore offer 3/4 ports polarization-insensitive optical circulator and 1310/1550/1064 polarization-maintaining (PM) optic circulators. Our fiber optical circulators can provide high isolation, very low insertion loss, low polarization dependent loss (PDL), low polarization mode dispersion (PMD), and excellent environmental stability. Any other wavelengths, without or with any connector can customized according to your requirement.

Thanks,

Hi all,

It is clear that optical circulators are used to separate optical power that travels in opposite directions in one single fiber. I don’t there should be more discussion on it now. And as mentioned before please do not copy paste same stuff. It is irritating.

Best Regards

Burhan

muhammad jawad
      Participant

Dear R.kumar

i think all the respected researchers explained well the use of optical circulator.
      for further query you may ask about it

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.