Home Forums GENERAL Choosing the right software.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Osmar Couto
      Participant

Hi,

I just subscribed to try the Optiwave software suite. However, I am not quite sure which one I should choose to try, the optisystem or the optispice, or anyone else. I am attaching the circuit that I need to test and develop on top of that. It is basically made of 2 Mach-Zehnder interferometers, with a controlled optical delay with collimators. The optical delay could be done with optical delay line as well. Further, I need to consider the delay inserted by the optical fibre cables used in the arms of the interferometers as well. In conclusion, could you please let me know which software would be more appropriate for this circuit, which is a self-homodyne coherent optical system, and have the waveform from oscilloscope and spectrum analyser.

Regards,

Osmar

Damian Marek
      Participant

You could actually do this design in both. But I think it is more appropriate for OptiSystem. Look at the samples folder for Advanced Modulation, there you will find examples of how we do Homodyne/Heterodyne receivers and transmitters.

Osmar Couto
      Participant

Thanks for that Damian,

Yes, I found in the Advanced Modulation folder the Coherent Optical OFDM, where I could see the coherence detection block with a heterodyne receiver with balanced output. It is really close to what I want for the beginning. Also, give an idea of how to create the waveform views after the simulation.

Is there anyway to download that sample circuit and work with it from somewhere in the website?

IS there any block in the library that simulates the ASE noise source? Or I have to use the the EDFA amplifier to get the noise from?

Regards,

Dr. Dhiman Kakati
      Participant

Hello Osmar,
      I think, you have to use the ASE part using an EDFA because the circuit you have attached here shows an amplifier symbol and ASE is written inside it. So most probably you can use EDFA to have ASE noise from it.

2ndly, “how to create the waveform views after the simulation.”

i would say there are many components in visualiser library that can be used for time domain as well as frequency domain view of the waveforms.

Regards,
      Dhiman Kakati

Osmar Couto
      Participant

Hi Dhiman,

Thanks for your response. I have done the sketch of the circuit attached because I assumed that I could get the ASE from the EDFA, but it is not working. I moved this question to the System forum. Further, after I installed the Optisystem I found the visualisers and the samples. Thanks anyway.

Regards,

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.