Home Forums FIBER Bit rate

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      arjen888
      Participant

Can anybody help me? How does the bit rate indicate in a optical system performance? I want some details. And why in WDM the bit rate is multiplied??? I would appreciate any reply

Alessandro Festa
      Participant

If you have more wavelengths, the total bandwidth supported by the system is simply the single BitRate multiplied by the number of channels.

Damian Marek
        Participant

Bit rate is the speed at which bits are sent. If you have multiple channels all transmitting different bits, but at the same bit rate then the total “effective bit rate” would be the # of channels multiplied by the bit rate.

Having multiple wavelength channels is very similar to having multiple parallel electrical wires in an electrical communication system. So I think Alessandro answered your question best!

Ravil
      Participant

In general, performance of optical system is defined by maximum product of bit rate and transmission length. Bit rate is also defined by type of coding you are using.

Heitor Galvao
      Participant

When you have a doubt you can consult the “help” of optisystem, helps a lot

siva rama krishna
      Participant

WDM has multiple wavelengths means multiple channels so WDM capacity is increased.So Bit rate is multiplied by no channels.

Ravil
      Participant

I’m not sure what you exactly mean by no channels…

Heitor Galvao
      Participant

Got weird

Ravil
      Participant

On the other hand your max product of bit rate and trans. length is limited by dispersion and spectral bandwidth of your source

Alessandro Festa
      Participant

I think “no channels” = “number of channels”

siva rama krishna
      Participant

Alessandro you are right.
      sorry for the inconvience caused by shortcut forms.

Alessandro Festa
      Participant

No problem Siva.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.