Home Forums SYSTEM bit error rate

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      anita sharma
      Participant

how can I get Bit error rate between 10^-9 to 10^-12 in 16-channel EDFA-WDM system . I have attached the system design.

Attachments:
      Abdallah Ismail
      Participant

This is achieved using FEC,I didn’t see the file till now because the key in the university but if you didn’t add FEC in your design,Your BER will 10e-3 and not 10e-9 because this is value is after FEC correction.

Abdallah Ismail
      Participant

The BER Analyzer is not accurate tool to measure BER,Try to use BER test set,it is more accurate but as i said,you expect BER in the range of 10e-3 because you didn’t use FEC correction.
      Regards,

anita sharma
      Participant

thank u for the reply… but I don’t know how to use FEC correction and I didn’t find BER test set in optisystem 7.

Damian Marek
      Participant

Hi Anita,

I found some design errors in your project file:

1) The channels defined in your WDM Demux do not correspond to the WDM Transmitter channels (1546 nm, 1546.8 nm . . .) I fixed this.

2) The Low pass filters did not have the proper bandwidth, because they were using the Symbol rate (but each channel is a bit stream). I fixed this but I would actually recommend using a Bessel filter here. I think Raised Cosine Filter’s are more popular when working with more advanced modulation schemes.

I’ve attached the project file where I achieved ~2e-8 BER. Note that I am using OptiSystem 13.0, so you might have trouble opening it.

Attachments:
      Abdallah Ismail
      Participant

Dear Damian,
      Is it possible to get this BER without FEC correction?

Damian Marek
        Participant

Yup, I didn’t change anything besides what I mentioned. This is a very simple system with only a short EDFA segment though.

Regards

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.