Home Forums GENERAL Biosensor

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Moisi Xhoxhi
      Participant

Hello,

I would like to suggest OptiWave to develop a product for the simulation of Biosensors and Microsystems for bacterial or virus detection in an analyte. It would be very attractive if it offered an easily and versatile way of designing and simulating these kind of biosesors. I am interested in developing a highly sensitive biosensor based on Multimode Interference (MMI) waveguides. One variant of it is in the attachment.

Thank you.

Luis Acevedo
      Participant

Good idea 🙂 this is very similar to my question

Luis Acevedo
      Participant

I am working in optical sensors and it is sometimes very hard to get the right software tool.
      I hope that Optiwave can develop this feature as OCT or Raman spectrometry for imaging.

further discussion : la47@hw.ac.uk

Moisi Xhoxhi
      Participant

Thank you very much. I really hope Optiwave will approach this market because of the high demand in this kind of technology.

Luis Acevedo
      Participant

yeah, I hope so too
      prob i could help them to understand and develop the technology
      Biosensing is a very popular topic in research.

At list we have MEMS module in Comsol

Moisi Xhoxhi
      Participant

Thank you very much. I will try that too.

Tech Support
      Participant

Moisi, Luis: Do you guys have any publication papers I can pass to our team?

Moisi Xhoxhi
      Participant

I am sorry. For the moment I don’t have any.

Luis Acevedo
      Participant

Yes

Mi group is developing Biosensors, we really need simulation tools

https://www.misec.hw.ac.uk/tags/biosensors

Luis Acevedo
      Participant
      Luis Acevedo
      Participant

another example,

David Watson is an unparalleled genius working as a research associate within the MISEC group.
      This talk looks at the design and fabrication of a microfluidic device to be used for the rapid assessment of bacterial response to antibiotics within the blood. The aim of the device is to decrease the time taken to analyse bacteria from blood samples from a couple of days to a couple of hours. Rapid analysis of antibiotic therapy means appropriate treatment can be administered much more promptly than before. Working under the supervision of Dr. Helen Bridle and in conjunction with Dr. Till Bachmann of the Division of Pathway Medicine at the University of Edinburgh, this presentation shows the early stages of device development, focussing on a microfluidic particle separation theory known as ‘deterministic lateral displacement’ (DLD).

http://projects.eps.hw.ac.uk/seminars/event/524

Bryan Tipper
      Participant

Thanks for all those examples Luis. I’ll pass them off to our scientists to take a look.

Bryan

Luis Acevedo
      Participant

Hello Bryan

not prob , you welcome
      If you need more information or have a skype conversation about the sensors .please let me know

Also have a look OCT ( Optical Coherent Tomography) and Raman spectroscopy . would be nice to simulate cells behaviors with this interferometers.

Kind Regards

Luis

Aurelien Duval
      Participant

Hi,

Thanks for all the info. We’ll digest that 🙂

Just to add some thoughts to the discussion:

In biosensing, things can be seen on different perspectives:

-if you are a photonics expert, everything is bent towards propagation constants, refractive index contrast etc.
      -if you are a biologist, you really care only about rates of association/dissociation, binding constants, concentrations etc.

For example, I cannot count the number of articles claiming to have built a glorified and (relatively) sensitive SPR refractometer just because it only focuses on the optics part of the biosensing problem.

If we only focus on the photonics side, we give only half the solution to the problem.

Now, the bigger question would be, what does the community need as key parameters to be simulated by such a software?

Luis Acevedo
      Participant

hello

You are partially right. The reflection of propagation light can give you the concentration , binding constants and etc . It is important to have a menu to insert the biological properties within testing object with the optical interferometry set up.

Biosensing is very important. And I know it is presenting a big challenge to you.

yes we need a simulation software prior of building a biosensing device , spectrometer…. the are very expensive and take a long time to build one.

Cheers

Luis

Luis Acevedo
      Participant

Also absorption is important in fluorescence analysis. Biomedical MEMS are preventing critical illnesses.
      🙂

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.