Home Forums GENERAL Best universities /College for optical and photonic studies

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
      Ashu verma
      Participant

Hello everyone,Suggest me the good university/college for advanced studies on optics and photonics.I have done my bachelor in engineering and started doing job as a assistant professor.Now i want to go further studies like M.tech or any advanced certification in optics.Please suggest me some of the government institutes where i can get admission through any test and will get some scholarship for work.College/Uni. name suggestions will mention by taking into account my nation(India). So that i will apply for the nation which accepts indian students.
      Regards

Ravil
      Participant

Hi Sam Sung!

Based on my experience, I am glad to give you an advice or recommendations about your question. However, I would like to confirm (and to recommend you for consideration) a few thing with you before doing it:
      1. Are you planning to pursue and earn a MS or a PhD degree?
      2. Are you planning to get a RA position and support right away or are you considering to work as a TA as well?
      3. How far would you like to travel? Do you have any preferences in climate conditions?

Ashu verma
        Participant

Thank you Ravil for your concern,
        I am planning to go to further study ME and PHd in some good university. Can you please tell me how to work as a Research Associate in University or College? and for any Company which deals in Optics and Photonics while doing my higher studies. I can travel anywhere and i have no climactic problems. Also you have mentioned TA(technical Assistant) if am not wrong then please suggest me the ways to work as RA/TA in any premier organization. Thank You again for guidance.

Ravil
          Participant

Hi Sam Sung,

First, I would like to correct you: RA stands for Research Assistant. I will be glad to share my knowledge about Research and Teaching Assistants (RA and TA correspondingly) with you. First, and the most important difference between RA and TA positions is that for TA you will be paid by the Department, when for RA position you will be paid by the professor that you are working with. This professor, in most of cases, will be your academic adviser.

Ashu verma
          Participant

Thanks for correcting me Ravil.Now i will search the university and professor for further information and please guide me time to time,because this is very new for me and i think you are also doing PHd.Thank you again Ravil 🙂 you have been very helpful to me as well as other forum participants.

Ravil
          Participant

There is a difference in RA opportunities between ME and PhD programs as well. If you are, for example, going for PhD degree you most likely will have RA opportunity than in case if you are going for ME degree. At the same time, ME degree offers good internship opportunities (especially in good universities).

Ravil
          Participant

According to your question about work as Research Assistant, you can become one upon the decision of the professor that you are planning to work for. You should be able to negotiate all the details and his requirements for your future RA position by email before your admission.

Ajay Vyas
      Participant

For Optical Communication in India
      IIST, Trivendram
      IIT Delhi
      ISM Dhanbad
      SGSITS, Indore
      BIT Mesra….
      DAVV, School of Laser Science, Indore

May more.

Ravil
      Participant

There are many rating/search systems that you can use online for your university search. However, I would definitely recommend you to consider not just an overall rating of certain university but the particular programs they have. At the same time, when you narrow your search, I advise you to contact Program Coordinators to confirm the main questions of your interest (fundings, internships, etc.) via email (that’s how I did it…)

+1
      Ravil
      Participant

From my point of view, good schools (in terms of funding, admission, internship opportunities, etc.) that I heard about within the US (can’t say about another countries from my experience) are
      Masachussetts University of Techology (MIT)
      CREOL (College of Optics & Photonics at the University of Central Florida)
      University of Rochester (The Institute of Optics)

Abhishek Shrama
      Participant

Central Universuty of Punjab, Bathinda can be considered as an option as it has an option for M.tech Optoelectronics.
      For colleges which donot have special degrees for optics but have very good mentors for optics:
      Thapar University, Patiala
      NITTTR Chandigarh
      and you can also try for research fellowships in CSIO, Chandigarh(very often openings are there)
      SBS Ferozpur(exceptionally good in optics)

Ashu verma
      Participant

Thank You Ajay Viyas , Abhishek Shrama for your replies. I appreciate that.
      Btw Ajay Viyas , the name of the colleges you have mentioned give admissions on GATE score , correct me if i am wrong. I have heard alot about DAV Indore for there expertise in optics.
      and ABhishek Shrama , I already knew about Thapar college and SBS Ferozpur , they are good in optics but can you please elaborate the Research Fellowships in CSIO ( Central Scientific Instrumental Organization (correct me if i am wrong)). I am curious to know about the research fellowship.
      Regards.

You might try
      university
      IMEN-Nano photonic,
      they have alot interesting projects+ good equipment+ supportive supervisor and caring.
      you can check it online and see what do they have in IMEN.
      enjoy…..

Ashu verma
      Participant

Thank you MohammadMahdi for your concern.I will consider IMEN for my advanced study.I will let you know after checking all the requirements terms and conditions and eligibility to enroll in IMEN.First thing that i have to check that do they consider indian student or not.Thank you again and please give me the guidance time to time.

Ashu verma
      Participant

Hello Mohammad,I surfed the IMEN over web and did not find any option for international student.
      In there eligibility criteria,they have mentioned following things that i couldnt understand what senat refers to? Please tell me briefly about this.

Master Programs:

Bachelor Degree from Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia or any institutions of higher learning recognized by by the senat or

Bachelor Degree with a Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of at least 3.0 from from Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia or any institutions of higher learning recognized by by the senat, or

Other qualification equivalent to the Bachelor Degree and possesses other qualification or experience recognized by the senat

Thank you

Ajay Vyas
      Participant

Thanks to all to provide the such a good information regarding the Optics & Photonics filed . Please prepare some forum or group to provide the information regarding the career or job related to optical communication.
      Post doc fellowship
      Research job
      RD Job
      university Job

Etc.

Abhishek Shrama
      Participant

Hello Ajay Vyas
      You have given a good idea regarding sharing of jobs, fellowships on some platform,where students as well as other freelancers get help in finding the good jobs in optics and photonics domain.There are some websites which give information about the jobs but not specifically about optics.It would be very beneficial for everyone on this forum to get intimation about fresh jobs because many of form members are students.Please share if anybody have such information regarding optical and photonics jobs.

Abhishek Shrama
      Participant

please also check these institutes:
      The list is not exhaustive. Suggestions about any addition / correction are welcome.

Raja Ramanna Centre for Advanced Technology, Indore (RRCAT)
      Laser Science & Technology Centre, Delhi (LASTEC)
      Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur
      Instruments Research and Development Establishment (IRDE)
      Centre of Excellence in Lasers & Optoelectronic Sciences (CELOS)
      Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
      Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati
      Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
      Indian Institute of Technology Madras, Chennai
      Indian Institute of Technology, Mumbai
      Raman Research Institute, Bangalore
      Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR)
      International School of Photonics, Cochin University of Technology, Cochin
      University of Pune, Pune
      University of Kerala, Thiruvananthapuram
      Physical research Laboratory, Ahmedabad
      Institute of Plasma Research, GandhiNagar, Gujrat
      Shri G.S. Institute of Technology & Science, Indore
      Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalaya, Indore

+1
      Taiwo Ambali Abiola
      Participant

At Samsung. University Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM) is one of Federal and one of the most recognized Universities in Malaysia. By ‘senate’, they are referring to the governing body of the University and it is nothing special. Every institution has senate which sees through the management of academic record and the requirement for admission into such University.

What they meant is that you must have a CGPA of 3.0/4.0 which is the system of grade point being used in Malaysia and some other countries including Nigeria where I come from. I am also presently a Ph.D student in Photonic at University Putra Malaysia. If you are from India, they would convert your grade system to the malaysia one and see if you meet up with the requirement.

Ravil
      Participant

Hi Sam Sung,

According to your question about the Senate, I agree with Yaiwo. Most of universities have so-called Graduate and Professional Student Government, which sometimes called as Senate or GPSG. This is an internal university organization that takes care of different student affairs, i.e. academic and professional development (which follows from its name). The recognition and approval, which you mentioned will be based on your achievements and performance.

Ravil
      Participant

According to the other part of your question about considering students from India, I can tell you based on my experience that it has never been an issue, as far as you have a diploma from a government accredited institution of your country and the proper translation/evaluation of your diploma is done!

Ashu verma
      Participant

Thank you Abhishek for giving me such a great options to consider for my further studies.These will help me alot
      Also thanks to Taiwo for explaining and clearing my doubts as i was not able to understand meaning of senate,now it is clear.
      Ravil you are very helpful for all participants and thank you so much for your concern.I will work on these things to find good institution for further work and study.
      Ajay vyas made a good point about jobs in optics and photonics,there should be a platform to guide students and professionals in the fields of optics to get good jobs.

+1
      Ravil
      Participant

You are welcome, Sam Sung! I am glad to give you my advice and share the experience that I have! I am sure that you will find the institution that suits your needs and you will be able to apply the knowledge that you have gained!

Ashu verma
      Participant

Thank you Ravil 🙂

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.