Home Forums SYSTEM BER analyzer

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      lavanya krishnan
      Participant

in ber analyzer results there is a element called “penalty:Q factor from Min.BER at user defined decision instant(dB)”
      what does It mean? is it same as “max Q factor” can we use it to express the quality of transmission?i have attached the picture below

Attachments:
      alistu
      Participant

Hi Lavanya,

The BER analyzer chooses the best instant with the widest eye opening as the decision instant to calculate max. Q-factor. Now if you define any other instant, your Q-factor would not be as much, so you have to increase the power as a penalty to get the same Q-factor as the max. Q-factor.

Regards

+2
      lavanya krishnan
      Participant

hi alitsu,
      but if I use “max q factor” in a 16 channel wdm(I have attached it below) system I get maximum q factor of 4.9 but if in case of “penalty:Q factor from Min.BER at user defined decision instant(dB)” I get maximum q factor of 33 .what can I use to define the quality of transmission

Attachments:
        alistu
        Participant

i have started simulating your file, but it seems it will take a lot of time to finish. Can you please attach a screen shot of the result with the obtained value (the one you have been referring to and you have shown in the topic main post attached image)?

lavanya krishnan
      Participant

thanks for helping

alistu
        Participant

The y-axis shows the power penalty in dB, and not Q-factor. It means that, for example, for the transmission line of 140 km, you need to use 60dB more power I order to maintain the same max. Q-factor (which is about 4.8 according to your Q-factor graph) for the user defined decision instant.

lavanya krishnan
      Participant

thanks but in case of q-factor it is very low why? as far as I know acceptable q-factor is 6-9?

alistu
        Participant

I wanted to ask whether this is the system you had formerly asked for suggestions for performance improvement. I once used DCF and once reduced the WDM laser linewidth to 0.1 MHz, which is acceptable for low power CW lasers, but neither of these methods made a remarkable change in the Q-factor. However, I suggest that you go with laser linewidth reduction and see if that helps.

lavanya krishnan
      Participant

I have read many research paper in those paper q-factor is always more than 10 but when I do the same simulation in optisystem q-factor is always less than 6.i have attached some papers and simulation files if u have time please point out my error in simulation

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.