Home Forums GENERAL BANDWIDTH

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      prakash jat
      Participant

what is the the maximum data rate achieved in today world ?

alistu
      Participant

Hi Prakash,

The performance of an optical system is evaluated by considering both data rate and transmission distance, by multiplying these factors together to get “bitrate-distance product”. A while ago, NEC managed to experimentally transmit 1.05 Petabits/sec over 55 kilometers. I haven’t found better performance even in experimental cases.

Regards

Alessandro Festa
        Participant

Wow, 1Petabit is a lot! Do you have any reference for this achievement?

Thanks,

Alessandro

alistu
          Participant

Indeed it is! You can read about it at http://optics.org/news/4/1/29 . Also, I think the ECOC coference paper can also be found. But it is worth mentioning that this has been done three years ago and I think we should expect a greater experimental performance in terms of bitrate-distance now.

Regards

prakash jat
      Participant

thanks alistu , i satisfied

MHD NA
      Participant

BLP=50×10^3 Gbps.Km

prakash jat
      Participant

hi mhd
      could you tell me which organization get this BLP=50×10^3 Gbps.Km

Dr. Dhiman Kakati
      Participant

Dear prakash, you may find this helpful https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiber-optic_communication. please see the attached image.

Regards

Attachments:
        alistu
        Participant

Thank you Dhiman. I was not accurate when I said 55km. Also, thanks to the link I realized I am not sure anymore about that being the highest bit-rate-distance ever achieved, as it belongs to 3 years ago. Nowadays with the emerging SDM technology and multicore fibers, the bitrate-distance has probably exceeded that value.

Dr. Dhiman Kakati
      Participant

Yes agree to you Alistu, because these are the officially announced information, there will be higher bit rate that is under construction.

Regards

prakash jat
      Participant

thanks dhiman

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.