Home Forums SYSTEM AMPLITUDE MODULATOR NOT GIVING A CORRESPONDING AMPLITUDE MODULATED SIGNAL

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Taiwo Ambali Abiola
      Participant

I observed that using both Amplitude modulator and frequency modulator modules to modulate signals do not give corresponding amplitude modulated and frequency modulated signal out respectively. The same with Phase modulator when checked the output signal with Time Domain Visualizer. With Amplitude modulator, I am actually expecting and amplitude modulated signal in form of envelop. What is the hidden secrete behind this?

Thanks

Damian Marek
      Participant

Could you please elaborate a little more? What type of output are you expecting and how it is different than the OptiSystem simulation?
      Attaching your project file would also help.

Taiwo Ambali Abiola
      Participant

Thanks Damian,
      I am actually expecting and envelop modulated signal based on the theory of amplitude modulation as attached in the .JPG file attached. The attached Pdf is what I saw when the signal is amplitude modulated. I noticed frequency modulator and phase modulator modules are also not giving me the expected response base on theory.

Kindly help on what I am suppose to do.

Thanks.

Alessandro Festa
      Participant

Hi Taiwo,

unfortunately, no attachment can be seen to your post. Can you post again and attach the images you are mentioning above?

Taiwo Ambali Abiola
      Participant

Oh! sorry, Kindly find the two attached files. The last waveform (envelope) on the image file is what I was expecting but I got the attached pdf.

Kindly help.

Thanks

Taiwo Ambali Abiola
      Participant

Seems I can not attach the files or two different formats. I did on two different system.

Taiwo Ambali Abiola
      Participant

ok, here is what I got

Attachments:
        Ravil
        Participant

Hi Taiwo, according to the picture, which you have uploaded, you have your modulating signal. However, you are expecting to capture the envelope? I am not sure if OptiSystem allows you to do it this way. But, for the case of real oscilloscope I would agree with Alessandro…

Alessandro Festa
          Participant

Yes, I do not see any option that allows you to detect the optical frequency instead of just the modulating signal at lower frequency…I don’t think you can do that with this visualizer on OptiSystem.

Alessandro Festa
      Participant

I do not understand where the problem is…the visulaizer is showing what you would see on an oscilloscope, where you cannot measure the “optical frequency” oscillation at about 190THz!

Ravil
        Participant

Yes, Alessandro. I completely understand your point and agree with your statement!

Taiwo Ambali Abiola
      Participant

Oh! I see, thanks alot for the information both Festa and Ravil. I thought I would be able to see the envelope signals

Ravil
        Participant

You are welcome, Taiwo! As a forum member, I am always glad to give you my advice when I can. Good luck with your work and research!

Damian Marek
        Participant

Just coming back to give an official response, OptiSystem treats optical signals as complex envelopes for simulation purposes. It would slow down simulation time considerably if the software had to sample at optical frequencies >190 THz.

Regards

Alessandro Festa
      Participant

You are welcome Taiwo!

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.