Home Forums SYSTEM Amplitude dependence on free running frequency

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Arindum Mukherjee
      Participant

Hi,
      I am trying to design an Optoelectronic Oscillator using Optisystem 12.0, [it is an oscillator with both RF and optical output, with the optical output as intensity modulated signal]. Incidentally, the OEO does not oscillate. I have been able to achieve this using other simulation software [e.g. MATLAB SIMULINK 9.0], using Optisystem 12.0, a closed loop system [like RF PLL] can be modeled. There is a RF VCO in the library, but there is no option for giving an initial condition [initial voltage]. So, please help me what alternative can be done in this regard? Typically in the OEO whether the system will have amplitude dependence on the instantaneous frequency, which is a stringent requirement for any injection synchronized oscillator?

Damian Marek
      Participant

Hi Arindum,

When you mention initial voltage, is that synonymous with bias voltage? If so, you can set the VCO Frequency parameter to any carrier frequency, which will act as a sort of bias voltage at the input.

Arindum Mukherjee
      Participant

Hi Damian,
      Initial voltage is responsible for generating the free-running frequency [the oscillation frequency when there is no input signal to the VCO], this option is not present in the Optisystem. So what is the other alternative ?

Damian Marek
        Participant

I’m looking into this. Could you send me your current project file, matlab code or a design layout? If you are interested in designing OEOs you might also want to try OptiSPICE.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.