Home Forums SYSTEM Addition of ASE/White Noise in Pulsed Signal to de-grade the OSNR

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      muhammad jawad
      Participant

Dear Friends and researchers

Hope you all will be fine

I am initiating an important thread.I request all of you to add your valuable comments here

I am posting a simple set-up for XPM based optical re generators.I would like to distort the signal at 1549nm in set-up by adding in-band ASE noise in it to see the re-generator’s performance.For adding in-band noise in 1549nm pulsed signal at 10gbps,i am using white light source at the same wavelength as pulsed signal.For in-band noise,i am using two BPF in front of both the source(i.e pulsed source and while light source) centered at the same wavelength as pulsed signal as shown in the attached setup.The bandwidth of the both BPF is calculated as “”” width of pulses x data rate =0.44 “””.Width of gaussain pulses is adjusted at 0.3bit at the pulse generator while the data rate is 10gbps.In this way the bandwidth of both the BPF is 14.7GHz.In this way the in-band noise is added in the pulsed signal

My 1st question is
      1.Is this right way of adding the noise to de-grade the signal/OSNR???
      2.As shown in fig,optical meter 2 and 4 both gives noise and signal powers in dBm and subtracting both the value gives OSNR in dB,,,is this right way of finding the OSNR????
      3.If my system gives degraded results at lowest values of OSNR like -50dB or higher,then these lowest values are realizable/true or there is something wrong in simulation???

i am using optisys 7.so cannot add osd file just screen shot can be attached

Please comment

regards

Attachments:

Salam Muhammad,
      first point, I think you mean the pulse width*Bandwidth = 0.44 for Gaussian pulse.
      but what you have written here is not clear to me, which is – “”” width of pulses x data rate =0.44 “””.
      as data rate is not the bandwidth of the pulse!
      is that correct??

Mohamed Abouseif

muhammad jawad
      Participant

Dear Mohammad A.
      You are right. I mistakenly wrote………

pulse width*Bandwidth = 0.44 for Gaussian pulse is the correct equation for a gaussian pulse

regards

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.