Home Forums SYSTEM ADD drop multiplexer

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      Aabid Baba
      Participant

could anyone please brief me about how we use add module , drop module , add/drop module in optiwave…it would be convenient if someone posts an example how it is used.. simple circuit design would do..!

alistu
      Participant

Hi Aabid,

I believe it would be quite helpful if you take a look at the examples in the OptiSystem samples regarding the aforementioned. You can find these three samples at OptiSystem 13 Samples\Component sample files\WDM Multiplexers Library\Add and Drop. One is related to WDM add, one related to WDM drop and one WDM add/drop. Please see if they are useful and ask any further questions you might have.

Regards

Atul Sharma
      Participant

Hi Alistu.

Can you help me. I have a question you know i am testing a signal addition in WDM add component.. I have a confusion regarding the functionality of the add component. If i am transmitting a signal from the source end ( CW Laser) which is modulated ( using particular modulation scheme) and then supply this modulated signal to the add component ( whose reference wavelength is 1553nm or 193.1 THz) , Now my question is if the signal that is added by the add component is self modulated or i can change the different parameters of that signal.
      I would like to hear from you.
      Regards
      Atul Sharma

Aabid Baba
      Participant

Hello Atul Sharma,
      I think your this query has been already answered as suggested by your comments in previous posts where this query was raised. Still for your convenience i would like to say that yes you can do so and it also depends on the application part of your design what results you want. Generally we can use such scenario where we could use two modulation schemes for two wavelengths in the same system. I am working with optical security and i have seen such techniques used in cryptography and stealth channel schemes. Anyway i hope your issue was solved.
      Regards

Atul Sharma
        Participant

Hello Aabid baba. Good afternoon and GREETINGS.

Yes you are right we could do it and it is because of the forum i got lot of help and some guidance too. Anyway thank you very much for showing your interest. I appreciate your efforts.
        And good to know that your work interest is optical security.

Regards
        Atul Sharma

Aabid Baba
          Participant

you are welcome. Anytime
          Regards

aasif bashir dar
      Participant

hi aabid baba,
      add module,……………..Adds a WDM channel and a WDM signal
      technical back ground
      The input signals are filtered by an optical filter and are combined in one signal. The first signal is filtered by an inverse filter. The optical filters can be a Rectangle, Gaussian, or Bessel optical filter.
      Defining crosstalk
      The level of crosstalk for both MUX and DEMUX components, is defined by bandwidth, ripple, and depth of the filter. These 3 factors will determine how much power, from neighboring channels, will act as crosstalk terms when calculating the performance of a specific channel. The most important parameter is depth, as it will play the most significant role in determining the power levels of the neighboring channels.

Atul Sharma
        Participant

Hello Aasif bashir dar. Good Afternoon and Greetings from my side.

Firstly thank you for sharing the basic things regarding the add drop components and how they operate in the system design. You have above mentioned one important factor or we rather can say an important parameter which is “depth of the filter”. can you explain what exactly is this depth and how do we set it and what impacts does it have. I had asked this before but got no response so as i saw this term mentioned so i thought it is good opportunity to ask you about it. Looking forward for your reply.

Regards
        Atul Sharma

Aabid Baba
        Participant

Hello Aasif,
        It is an older post and people have commented on it lately that’s why it will be appearing in recent threads. The problem was solved long ago. Thank you anyways.
        Regards

aasif bashir dar
      Participant

the drop module is simlar to that of the add mux in technical back ground however..it Drops a WDM channel from a WDM signal.
      add drop mux…Equivalent to a subsystem based on the WDM Add and WDM Drop components.
      In the drop section, the input signal is divided in two signals. Each signal is filtered by an optical filter. An inverse filter filters the first signal.
      In the add section, the input signals are filtered by an optical filter and are combined in one signal. An inverse filter filters the first signal.
      The optical filters can be a Rectangle, Gaussian, or Bessel optical filter.

with regards

Atul Sharma
        Participant

Greetings

Firstly thank you for sharing the basic things regarding the add drop components and how they operate in the system design. You have above mentioned one important factor or we rather can say an important parameter which is “depth of the filter”. can you explain what exactly is this depth and how do we set it and what impacts does it have. I had asked this before but got no response so as i saw this term mentioned so i thought it is good opportunity to ask you about it. Looking forward for your reply.

Regards
        Atul Sharma

SAHIL SINGH
      Participant

Hi all,

I agree with the view points of asif that the drop module is simlar to that of the add mux in technical back ground however..it Drops a WDM channel from a WDM signal. Also as pointed out by Atul Sharma could anyone explain what depth of the filter means and what impact does it have on the design…

with regards
      Sahil singh

Atul Sharma
        Participant

Yes Sahil Singh i think Depth of filter is an important parameter. I just want someone to explain its impact. I hope someone responds.

Aabid Baba
          Participant

Hello Atul,
          As far as Depth of Filter is concerned please google it. You will get various links about the topic.
          Regards

aasif bashir dar
      Participant

hi atul sharma,
      i thing you should take the component help of the optisytem…where you get details of each component
      with regards

Aabid Baba
        Participant

Yes Aasif that can be the another option.

Hi Aabid Baba

I believe you would be well aware of the theory and basics behind add module, drop module or add/drop multiplexer but since you want to know about the use of these modules in some example that would be existing in the examples. I have myself come across an example in which these modules were used . In examples of optisystem 14 go in the WDM system section and in there u would find an example of COADM and in that u will find that how add, drop modules are used. See for them if u find them well and good if not mention it i will upload the .osd file for you in that case.

Regards

Burhan

Aabid Baba
        Participant

Hello Burhan Num,
        It is an older post and people have commented on it lately that’s why it will be appearing in recent threads. The problem was solved long ago. Thank you anyways.
        Regards

SAHIL SINGH
      Participant

Hi Burhan,

You are correct in mentioning that in WDM system section of the optisystem 14 there is an example of COADM there it is clearly shown how add, drop modules are used… Thanks for the information..

Regards
      Sahil Singh

Aabid Baba
      Participant

Hi All,
      It is an old post and the problem was solved long ago.
      Thanks.

Atul Sharma
        Participant

Hello Aabid. Greetings.

I think queries and confusions should be welcomed. I hope you don’t mind it.

Hi Aabid baba

My apologies.. Thats great to see that the problem was solved. Best of luck..

Regards

Burhan

Atul Sharma
        Participant

Hi Burhan. Greetings.

Discussions should be welcomed. you don’t need to apologize. Cheers 🙂

Hi Atul Sharma

Actually as aabid has suggested already that the discussion was closed and query was answered long ago and hence I apologised for putting the same thing again.. I believe i was late in replying. Anyways that is considerate of you to reply on my apology..

Thanks

Regards

Burhan

SAHIL SINGH
      Participant

Hi Burhan,

Infact the query was solved long ago.. anyways as suggested by other members on the forum,the discussions should be welcomed…

Regards
      Sahil Singh

Hi All

Thanks all. Indeed this forum welcomes every informative response and discussion. Thats why we all are hear on this platform together to help out each other.

Regards

Burhan

Manoj Kumar
      Participant

Hello Atul Sharma,
      I think your this query has been already answered as suggested by your comments in previous posts where this query was raised. Still for your convenience i would like to say that yes you can do so and it also depends on the application part of your design what results you want. Generally we can use such scenario where we could use two modulation schemes for two wavelengths in the same system. I am working with optical security and i have seen such techniques used in cryptography and stealth channel schemes. Anyway i hope your issue was solved.
      Regards

Manoj Kumar
      Participant

Hi Aabid Baba

I believe you would be well aware of the theory and basics behind add module, drop module or add/drop multiplexer but since you want to know about the use of these modules in some example that would be existing in the examples. I have myself come across an example in which these modules were used . In examples of optisystem 14 go in the WDM system section and in there u would find an example of COADM and in that u will find that how add, drop modules are used. See for them if u find them well and good if not mention it i will upload the .osd file for you in that case.

Regards

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.