Home Forums BPM 33 mm switch length

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Ravil
      Participant

Dear Optiwave Team and forum members,

Can you, please, briefly explain me the reason of choosing whole switch device length of 33 mm with only 100 microns width. I’m talking about a wafer which was used in “Lesson 14: Mach-Zehnder Interferometer Switch”.

Will be very thankful to any reply!

Steve Dods
      Participant

Those dimensions are chosen to make the simulation as efficient as possible. The length and width are chosen so as to be large enough to enclose the entire optical field, but small enough so that the simulation does not waste time on places that have no optical field. The Mach-Zehnder device is long and narrow, so the simulation zone is too.

Ravil
      Participant

Thanks, Steve! I have a follow-up question: according to this tutorial I should be able to check the refractive index profile of different slices through the device in x-y plane, for example. But after I’m putting z-distance in the required box I can’t locate the ‘View’ button. Can you, please, help me with that?

Ravil
      Participant

Can you, please, also provide any info/references which have been used for simulation parameters such as

Mesh—Number of points: 500
      BPM solver: Paraxial
      Engine: Finite Difference
      Scheme Parameter: 0.5
      Propagation Step: 1.3
      Boundary Condition: TBC ?

Ravil
      Participant

For some reason, I’m getting an error (see attached file) when I’m trying to run the scheme from lesson 14. In my opinion, the problem is that I don’t have the required selection “Select Simulation > Calculate 2D Isotropic Simulation” to calculate the scheme in 2D. The error comes up when I’m trying to simulate my scheme in 3D layout…

Ravil
      Participant

attached file here…

Attachments:
      Steve Dods
      Participant

The sample you have was set up to run in 2D. The input plane takes specifications for 2D and 3D simulations separately. If you ask for a 3D simulation, but the input for a 3D simulation has not been specified in this project, you get this error.

Ravil
      Participant

ok, I see your point. I just haven’t seen the selection to run my simulation in 2D for some reason… I’ll check it again and let you know about the progress!

Ravil
      Participant

Steve, I considered your advice and specified my input in 2D plane. But even after that I have only option to “Calculate 3D Isotropic Simulation” in Simulation tab. Could, you please guide me how exactly should I run my simulation in this case?

Steve Dods
      Participant

I expect you are using the 64 bit version of OptiBPM 12. 2D BPM is found in the 32 bit version of OptiBPM 12. So for now, use the 32 bit version. OptiBPM 13 will have 2D BPM in 64 bits.

Ravil
      Participant

I think I figure it out. Thanks for your advices!

Ravil
      Participant

Can you, please, comment on my questions about the simulation parameters?

Steve Dods
      Participant

There is no reference for Lesson 14. It is not a simulation that reproduces results from a previously published work. That simulation was done by Optiwave.

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.