Home Forums SYSTEM Wavelength effect in OWC

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Abhishek Shrama
      Participant

@damian and Ravil
      Hello!
      I am trying to observe the effect of wavelength on OWC channel. From a number of previous researches I came to know that results improve as we move towards larger values of wavelength but when I tried to implement so the results are opposite. I tried it with a number of modulation formats. Here I am attaching my file of CS-RZ over OWC with iterations on different wavelengths but results are degrading as we move towards larger wavelength. Why So? Is there any problem in my setup some conceptual misconception is there?

Attachments:
      Alessandro Festa
      Participant

Hi Abhishek,

if you look at the received power with a WDM analyzer after the OWC component, you will see that receiver signal power decreases as wavelength increases, and this is the reason why BER is worse at high wavelength.

Abhishek Shrama
      Participant

Thankyou Alessandro!!
      I did observe that before also. The reason what I was asking is that shorter wavelengths are more prone to rayleigh amd mie scattering. Even then the results are better on them as compared to longer wavelengths. What factor is working there?

Alessandro Festa
      Participant

If you look at the formula at page 2261 of the Component Library pdf, you find the received power vs wavelength conversion. I think that if you apply, the receiver power is lower at higher wavelengths, and this explains what you are seeing.

ahmed helmy teama
      Participant

Abhishek Shrama
      kindly find the attached paper, i think it will help you a lot

Abhishek Shrama
      Participant

Thank you Alessandro for quick reply,I have checked the content you have mentioned above and it helps me.
      Ahmed i didnt see any attachment.Please try to attach it again ,may it will helpful for me.

Alessandro Festa
      Participant

You are very welcome Abhishek!

Ashu verma
      Participant

Hello Abhishek
      Alessandro gave you very important point regarding reception power decreases as we move to longer wavelngths.Also do not forget to consider transmitter and receiver efficiency,pointing errors and losses.Received power depends upon the gain of the transmitter and receiver,so take care of their size also.More the size of the tx nd rx more power you receive.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.