Home Forums SYSTEM Use Matlab to change the attenuation in FSO channel

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      chee
      Participant

Hello everyone. i have an idea but not sure if it will work.
      i have measured rain data and have a formula to convert rain rate to attenuation in dB. is it possible that by using Matlab,when keying in the rain rate, the attenuation of the fso channel component will change accordingly?

alistu
      Participant

Hi Chee,

You can actually do this without using Matlab. you just need to add the rain rate as a new parameter to the global parameters, and then use the formula you have for this purpose (which makes use of “rainrate” parameter you have defined) in script mode for attenuation value in the FSO channel properties to relate the rain rate to the attenuation.

Cheers!

chee
        Participant

thanks alistu, do you have any more information regarding this?

alistu
          Participant

You’re welcome Chee! You mean more information on how to make these changes? If my explanations are not clear to you, you can attach your simulation file and give me the formula which relates the attenuation to rain rate, so that I make the modifications myself in the way I described in my previous comment.

chee
          Participant

thank you alistu. actually this is because i only have basic understanding on optisystem, so i’m not able to understand high level operation. the formula is rather simple, attenuation = 2.03(rain rate)^0.74. rain rate have one decimal place.

alistu
          Participant

I should have explained more vividly. However, I attached the file. Double click in the layout background and you’ll see the parameter “rainrate” I have added. Double-click on FSO and click on “evaluate script” button to see the calculated value of attenuation with regard to your formula. You can make changes to the formula by clicking on the small “s” button next to “attenuation”. Please ask if you have any further questions.

chee
          Participant

i am sorry, why is the file is in doc?

alistu
          Participant

I don’t know why it has been saved like that, but you can open it with optisystem 13.0.3 for sure.

chee
          Participant

can i know how you key in the formula in fso component?

alistu
          Participant

Sure! As you open the FSO channel properties window, you change the option on the “mode” column to “script” for any parameter you wish. After that, you just need to click on a small button with a “s” on it in the “value” column of the desired parameter to open a new window named “parameter script editor”. There you type the formula.

chee
          Participant

wow! got it. thank you very much.

alistu
          Participant

You’re welcome!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.