Home Forums FDTD Simulation Error

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Jing Ying
      Participant

Hi

I’m trying to simulate the E field in this gold cylinder and substrate.
      Z-input wave goes through the structure and I have set up 2 observation areas- vertical and horizontal.
      However, there is a simulation error where no data is generated.

Also. I’m not sure if it should be Polarized Linear X or Y for the input plane.

Attachments:
      Scott Newman

Hello Jing,

I have looked over your fdt file and there are a number of issues with your setup. The one that is causing your failed simulation is that there are nowhere near enough points in your simulation grid. You have used auto to define your x, y, and z step sizes which is based off using the source wavelength divided by 10. With a source of 1.1um this is a step size of 0.11um. However, your design is 0.4um x 0.38um which means you only have 3 grid points in any one direction, this is not enough.

Other issues to note:
      1. You have defined the background material for your substrate and cladding (y axis zones of your domain) to be gold, the same as your objects. This means your entire domain is just a brick of gold.
      2. Your structure is symmetric about the X and Y which means both polarizations should give the same result.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.