Home Forums SYSTEM RSOA

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      gulkaran bajwa
      Participant

hello everyone, please tell me how to set the bandwidth of RSOA in optisystem 7

Hello,
      Reflective Semiconductor Optical Amplifiers (RSOAs) offer a cost effective wavelength agnostic transmitter for applications within wavelength division multiplexed passive optical networks (WDM PONs) obviating the need for tuneable or fixed laser sources at customer premises. The RSOA, seeded with a single continuous wave source at the ONU (Optical Network Unit) can be shared among a number of users and can simultaneously amplify and modulate that seed to support a WDM overlay in a wavelength agnostic manner. A summary of the operational performance of RSOAs across several wavelength bands and conclusions on their potential in future PON evolutions is presented here. Please refer to the link.
      http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/freeabs_all.jsp?arnumber=5185149&abstractAccess=no&userType=inst
      Hope this will help.
      Thanks

gulkaran bajwa
        Participant

Hello Abbas, Actually i want to remodulate the signal by RSOA which we called OOK (On off keying) and i am also getting my results for both 10Gbps CPFSK downstream and 1Gbps/NRZ OOk signal for uplink but when i use to vary fiber length downstream signal start decreasing with increasing fiber length which is obvious but there is no change in OOK Uplink signal even from 10Km to 100Km Q-Factor of OOK signal remain same I am confused with this because it has to decrease but there is no change.

also i want to add that Wavelength seeded RSOA PONs share a CW seed source between many users. At each of the ONUs, an RSOA is used to amplify the seed signal and directly modulate it with data to be carried in the upstream direction. The CW source can either be a laser or a broadband light source filtered by an optical multiplexer/de-multiplexer. The remainder of the transmission (backhaul and splitter) can be considered as a lumped loss and can be most readily emulated by two Variable Optical Attenuators (VOAs); at low data rates (1.25Gbit/s) dispersion is not
      significant and was not considered. The seed wavelength was injected into an RSOA, directly modulated at 1.25Gbits/s with a NRZ Pseudo Random Bit Sequence (PRBS) 211-1. An ETS3869 driver, which provides control over the bias current (Ibias) and the data modulation, was used to modulate the RSOA. Control over the RSOA chip temperature is also provided by an external controller; the RSOA performance was characterised at a chip
      temperature of 25ºC. After passing through a variable optical width Band-Pass Filter (BPF), the upstream modulated signal was received at the OLT using combination of an Avalanche Photodiode (New Focus 1647 APD Photo-receiver) followed by a limiting amplifier.
      Refer to the link. It will surely help you.
      http://www.oecc2009.org/paper/573.pdf
      Thanks

Rajguru M. Mohan
      Participant

Hi Gulkaran,
      As RSOA simulates a reflective semiconductor optical amplifier including the dynamic dependence between electric and optical input signals.
      We could set Gain bandwidth
      The 3 dB bandwidth of the linear gain coefficient in Enhanced parameter tab of RSOA.

Thanks,

Karan Ahuja
      Spectator

hi all
      The RSOAs have a high reflectivity coating on one facet and an ultra low reflectivity coating (<10-5) on the other. The input facet is angled and to achieve a normal and a 10 degree angled facet on the same device the gain region is curved close to the centre of the chip with a bend with radius of 3mm. To further reduce the effective facet reflectivity and improve coupling, the device output far field is reduced through the linear tapering of the active region is in the lateral direction from 1.2µm to approximately 0.45µm over 80µm approaching the angled facet. The key parameters of interest for an optical amplifier are gain, Noise Figure (NF), polarization dependent gain (PDG) and maximum saturable output power (Psat); with RSOAs, modulation bandwidth is also relevant. A parametric performance summary of the key operational parameters of a pigtailed TO style packaged RSOA device at a drive current of 80mA is shown in Figure 1 and Figure 2. S-band devices (Figure 1) exhibit excellentgain (over 20dB from 1470 nm upwards), with Psat rising to a maximum of 7.5dB at 1530nm. The NF peaks at
      10.5dB at 1465nm but is generally <10dB. Small signal PDG is less than 2.8dB across the band and ripple is less than 2.2dB; both will reduce substantially in operation as the gain is compressed. For C/L-band devices at a drive current of 50mA, more than 20dB of gain can be observed from 1535nm upwards, with Psat rising to a maximum of 6dB at 1580nm.
      Regards

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.