Home Forums GENERAL ROF

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • Author
      ZULKARNAIN
      Participant

Hi All…
      i would like to know about Radio over fiber technology like its benefits over traditional technologies and its applications. is it implementable in optiwave and if yes then what components are to be used in my design?

Tanveer
      Participant

hi zulkarnain,,,
      Radio-over-fiber (RoF) is a technology used to distribute RF signals over analog optical links. In such RoF systems, broadband microwave data signals are modulated onto an optical carrier at a central station (CS), and then transported to remote sites or base station (BS) using optical fiber. The base-stations then transmit the RF signals over small areas using microwave antennas.
      For more information about Radio over fiber technology kindly refer

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/Xplore/defdeny.jsp?url=http%3A%2F%2Fieeexplore.ieee.org%2Fstamp%2Fstamp.jsp%3Ftp%3D%26arnumber%3D6459744%26userType%3Dinst&denyReason=-133&arnumber=6459744&productsMatched=null&userType=inst

For Implementation in Optiwave kindly refer

Radio Over Fiber (RoF)

with regards

aasif bashir dar
      Participant

hi zulkarnain,
      implementation of radio over fiber is quit possible in optiwave, for visit the link below:

Radio Over Fiber (RoF)

i will uplload the .osd sample file of ROF soon.

with regards

aasif bashir dar
      Participant

here is the .osd file.

ZULKARNAIN
      Participant

THANK YOU AASIF BASHIR DAR AND TANVEER FOR YOUR ANSWERS.

umer syed
      Participant

hi all,
      i appreciate asif for upload the ROF sample .osd file. it will help zulkarnain

with regards

ZULKARNAIN
      Participant

HI ALL…
      AS THE SIGNAL IS TRANSPORTED TO LONGER DISTANCES FROM THE CENTRAL STATION TO THE REMOTE LOCATIONS, THE QUALITY WILL GET DEGRADED. SO HOW CAN WE OBTAIN A RELIABLE COMMUNICATION WITHOUT ANY COMPROMISE ON THE QUALITY?
      ANSWERS WILL BE APPRECIATED
      WITH REGARDS

ZULKARNAIN
      Participant

ALSO I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THAT IF WE ARE ABLE TO TRANSMIT RELIABLY TO LONGER DISTANCES USING WIRELESS COMMUNICATION,THEN WHAT IS THE ADVANTAGE OF RADIO OVER FIBER COMMUNICATION. IS IT THE BANDWIDTH OR SOMETHING ELSE.
      WITH REGARDS

aasif bashir dar
      Participant

Advantages of ROF Technology
      Some of the advantages and benefits of the RoF technology are discussed follow:
      (i) Low Attenuation Loss: Electrical distribution of high-frequency microwave signals
      either in free space or through transmission lines is problematic and costly .
      Therefore, distributing high frequency radio signals electrically over long distances
      requires expensive regenerating equipment.
      (ii) Large Bandwidth: Optical Fibers offer enormous bandwidth. There are three main
      transmission windows, which offer low attenuation, namely the 850 nm, 1310 nm,
      and 1550 nm wavelengths.
      (iii)Immunity to Radio Frequency Interference: Immunity to Electromagnetic Interference
      (EMI) is a very attractive property of optical Fiber communications, especially for
      microwave transmission. This is so because signals are transmitted in the form of
      light through the Fiber. Because of this immunity, fiber cables are preferred even
      for short connections at mm-waves.
      (iv)Easy Installation and Maintenance: In RoF systems, complex and expensive equipment
      is kept at the head end, thereby making the RAUs simpler. For instance, most RoF
      techniques eliminate the need for a LO and related equipment at the RAU. In such
      cases a photo detector, an RF amplifier, and an antenna make up the RAU.
      Modulation and switching equipment is kept in the headend and is shared by several
      RAUs. This arrangement leads to smaller and lighter RAUs, effectively reducing
      system installation and maintenance costs.
      (v) Multi-Operator and Multi-Service Operation: RoF offers system operational flexibility.
      Depending on the microwave generation technique, the RoF distribution system can
      be made signal-format transparent . For instance the Intensity Modulation and
      Direct Detection (IM-DD) technique can be made to operate as a linear system and
      therefore as a transparent system.

aasif bashir dar
      Participant

LIMITATIONS OF ROF TECHNOLOGY
      Since RoF involves analogue modulation, and detection of light, it is fundamentally an
      analogue transmission system. Therefore, signal impairments such as noise and distortion,
      which are important in analogue communication systems, are important in RoF systems as well
      . These impairments tend to limit the Noise Figure (NF) and Dynamic Range (DR) of the
      RoF links. DR is a very important parameter for mobile (cellular) communication systems such as GSM because the power received at the BS from the MUs varies widely That is, the RF
      power received from a MU which is close to the BS can be much higher than the RF power
      received from a MU which is several kilometers away, but within the same cell.

aasif bashir dar
      Participant

hi zulkarnain
      i suggest to visit the link
      http://www.artechhouse.com/uploads/public/documents/chapters/Al-Raweshidy148-ch04.pdf
      it will provide you every basic aspect of ROF.

with regards

Dr. Dhiman Kakati
        Participant

Hi Aashif,
        The pdf you have attached here is very much helpful in terms of clearing the concepts. Thanks for Sharing.

Regards,
        Dhiman

love kumar
      Participant

RoF with optical inter leaver system

aasif bashir dar
      Participant

hi love kumer,
      i will also the upload RoF with optical inter leaver system which you mentioned in your comment.thanks for reminding it. here is the osd file.

with regards

Dr. Dhiman Kakati
        Participant

Hi Asif,
        In the RoF design file you have attached the spectrum of the two optical signals after the interleaver is same, and as far asa the theoretical aspect the interleaver is used two separate the two frequencies in case of a dual wavelength optical signal, and this will help in designing a full duplex system. But in your case you are using for the same type of detection only. Can you please elaborate more in this regards. thanking you.

Regards,
        Dhiman

love kumar
      Participant

osd file

umer syed
      Participant

hi zulkarnain..
      Radio over fiber (RoF) refers to a technology whereby light is modulated by a radio signal and transmitted over an optical fiber link to facilitate wireless access, such as 3G and WiFi simultaneous from the same antenna.
      Advantages of ROF Technology
      (i)Low complexity: RoF makes use of the concept of a remote station (RS). This station only consists of an optical-to-electrical (O/E) (and an optional frequency up or down converter), amplifiers, and the antenna. This means that the resource management and signal generation circuitry of the base station can be moved to a centralized location and shared between several remote stations, thus simplifying the architecture
      (ii) Low Attenuation Loss: Electrical distribution of high-frequency microwave signals
      either in free space or through transmission lines is problematic and costly .
      Therefore, distributing high frequency radio signals electrically over long distances
      requires expensive regenerating equipment.
      (ii) Large Bandwidth: Optical Fibers offer enormous bandwidth. There are three main
      and 1550 nm wavelengths.
      (iii)Immunity to Radio Frequency Interference: Immunity to Electromagnetic Interference
      (EMI) is a very attractive property of optical Fiber communications, especially for
      microwave transmission. This is so because signals are transmitted in the form of
      light through the Fiber. Because of this immunity, fiber cables are preferred even
      (iv)Easy Installation and Maintenance: In RoF systems, complex and expensive equipment
      is kept at the head end, thereby making the RAUs simpler. For instance, most RoF
      techniques eliminate the need for a LO and related equipment at the RAU. In such
      cases a photo detector, an RF amplifier, and an antenna make up the RAU.
      Modulation and switching equipment is kept in the headend and is shared by several
      RAUs. This arrangement leads to smaller and lighter RAUs, effectively reducing
      system installation and maintenance costs.

ZULKARNAIN
        Participant

hi umer…
        i think aasif bashir dar had already told the various advantages of the Rado aver fiber.
        but thankyou for your reply..

Dr. Dhiman Kakati
      Participant

Hi ZULKARNAIN,
      Aasif has already mentioned most of the advantages regarding Radio over Fiber. You can also go through the pdf attached in response #32199.
      moreover I will suggest you to use some advanced modulation schemes to increase the Bit rate, transmission distance, and spectrum efficiency etc.

Regards,
      Dhiman

Aabid Baba
        Participant

Hello zulkarnain,
        As far as i am concerned you may find simulation set-ups of radio over fiber systems in the optiwave examples in the sample files folder. Please refer to the sample files it would surely help you because i have seen many examples of radio over fiber there.

Regards

Dr. Dhiman Kakati
      Participant

Hi,
      Further one more advantage I want to add here is that If you are designing fiber-wireless (fi-wi) system then after optical to electrical conversion you need not to convert the information to its original form rather you can transmit it wirelessly and then decode (decision eleent) the data at the user terminal. this is because we are using here RF or mm-wave frequency. this will really simplyfy the whole system and performance also.

Regards,
      Dhiman

ZULKARNAIN
        Participant

Hi Dhiman Kakati…
        thanks for your reply…
        i am not able to understand your answer regarding conversion of data to its original form…please elaborate further so that i can understand it..
        Hope you will take some time to reply back..
        with regards..

ZULKARNAIN
      Participant

hi all…
      i appreciate all and thank all for your answers…

ZULKARNAIN
      Participant

i understood that Radio over Fiber(ROF) has so may advantages like enormous bandwidth,immunity to interference etc as compared to wireless.
      But i didn’t understood the eazy setup of Radio over Fiber(ROF).i think it is very difficult to setup optic fiber link to remote locations,but we can easily setup a wireless connectivity.Well i think the end user doesn’t use enormous bandwidth and he can get his share of bandwidth from wireless as well.
      From security purpose of view Radio over Fiber(ROF) is preferable over wireless,but with increasing complexity of the cryptography algorithms we can achieve that as well…
      Discussion will be welcomed.
      wit regards

Tanveer
      Participant
      SAHIL SINGH
      Participant

Hi Asif and umer syed…
      Thank you for sharing such valuable information of Radio Over Fibre (ROF) technology…
      Highly appreciate your efforts..
      Regards..

Rajguru M. Mohan
      Participant

Hi,
      Radio over fiber means a technology in which light is modulated by a radio signal and transmitted over an optical fiber link to facilitate wireless access, such as 5G and WiFi simultaneous from the same antenna.
      i.e. radio signals are carried over fiber-optic cable.
      Radio over Fiber technology (RoF), an integration
      of wireless and fiber optic networks, is an essential technology
      for the provision of untethered access to broadband wireless
      communications in a range of applications including last mile
      solutions, extension of existing radio coverage and capacity,
      and backhaul.The traditional link between the radio base station (RBS) and
      the antenna has previously been a copper coaxial cable. To use
      an optical fiber cable instead, makes both design of new sites,
      as well as the physical deployment of the hardware, much
      easier.
      Thanks,

Rajguru M. Mohan
      Participant

Hi,
      First RoF systems were mainly used to transport
      microwave signals, and to achieve mobility functions in the
      central office or exchange (CO). That is, modulated
      microwave signals had to be available at the input end of
      the RoF system, which subsequently transported them over
      a distance to the RS (Remote Site) in the form of optical.
      First RoF systems were mainly used to transport
      microwave signals, and to achieve mobility functions in the
      central office or exchange (CO). That is, modulated
      microwave signals had to be available at the input end of
      the RoF system, which subsequently transported them over
      a distance to the RS (Remote Site) in the form of optical.
      Thanks,

Rajguru M. Mohan
      Participant

Hi,
      Here are the advantages of ROF Technology :
      (i) Low Attenuation Loss: Electrical distribution of high-frequency microwave signals
      either in free space or through transmission lines is problematic and costly.

and 1550 nm wavelengths.
      microwave transmission. Because of this immunity, fiber cables are preferred even
      techniques eliminate the need for a LO and related equipment at the RAU.

(v) Multi-Operator and Multi-Service Operation: RoF offers system operational flexibility.
      Depending on the microwave generation technique, the RoF distribution system can
      be made signal-format transparent.
      thanks,

Rajguru M. Mohan
      Participant

Hi,
      Finally, i want to discuss about the LIMITATIONS OF ROF TECHNOLOGY:

Since RoF involves analogue modulation, and detection of light, it is fundamentally an
      analogue transmission system. Therefore, signal impairments such as noise and distortion,
      which are important in analogue communication systems, are important in RoF systems as well.
      These impairments tend to limit the Noise Figure (NF) and Dynamic Range (DR) of the
      RoF links.
      as GSM because the power received at the BS from the MUs varies widely That is, the RF
      power received from a MU which is close to the BS can be much higher than the RF power
      received from a MU which is several kilometers away, but within the same cell.

thanks,

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.