Home Forums FDTD PML Boundary Conditions

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

What limitations do I have when setting the PML boundaries? How shall I pick the parameters?

Ravil
      Participant

Hello Ahmad,

If I understood your question correctly, you are considering a perfectly matched layer under “PML”. According to the theory, for the case of two PML with absorption (a necessary condition for PML), the boundary conditions should have matched impedance. This condition allows layers to absorb both light waves: propagating and evanescent with negligible reflections. These reflections will always take place due to the discretization of the underlying PML equations.

Ravil
      Participant

According to your second question about choosing the parameters, if I am not mistaken, you should be able to input the dielectric permittivity and the magnetic permeability for each of layer that you are trying to match. The resultant impedance for these layers can be defined as a square root of the ratio of dielectric permittivity and the magnetic permeability of your matching layers. The limitations can be obtained when one of the layers is known…

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.