Home Forums FIBER PMD measurment and splice loss measurement in optifiber

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Selvendran S
      Participant

Hi Damian, i need your help in finding of Polarization mode dispersion and splice loss measurement using optifiber simulation. if i changed the refractive index of the core from step to graded structure (or) if i induced a dip or trench in refractive index next to core ( depressed cladding) then i faced problem with birefringence parameter window where induced by perturbation parameter is disabled. herewith i have attached a optifiber file for your reference. how can i calculate the PMD for that refractive index profile.

Attachments:
      Damian Marek
      Participant

Hi Selvendran,

Sorry for the late reply! Unfortunately our birefringence models can only calculate the delta B and Differential Group Delay per unit length for step index profiles. You can however explicitly state the delat B and DGD in the Birefringence window to calculate the PMD from these values.

The splice loss can be calculated by going to the Scan Fund. Mode window and clicking the Define button beside Splice Loss.

Regards

Selvendran S
      Participant

thanks damian, how can i calculate delt B and DGD from my designed profile … pls give me the mathematical supports for calculate it.

Damian Marek
        Participant

Calculating the difference in polarization propagation constants is how you would do it, however first you need a source of birefringence. In your design what is introducing the asymmetry in the fiber? Mechanical strain? Temperature? Etc. I don’t think this will be a trivial exercise!

Regards

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.