Home Forums GENERAL Photon counting detectors

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author
      Rajguru M. Mohan
      Participant

Hi Everyone,
      I Have heard about photon counting detectors from NASA websites, But I am unable to understand this completely or fairly.
      I want to know about such Innovations, Someone please suggest some links or more information about this.
      I also want know about these technologies like photomultiplier tubes (PMT),
      Hybrid photomultiplier detectors (HPD) and Single Photon Avalanche Diodes (SPAD)
      that cover different spectral ranges between the UV and the NIR and Disruption Tolerant Networking .
      To enhance the optical communications beacon-aided acquisition,
      SCaN is developing beacons near the receivers onto which spacecraft can lock-on to.
      Just like terrestrial lasers, the beam of space based optical lasers spreads out, or becomes dispersed.
      Could somebody explain the term beacons .
      How it will increase the sensitivity of recievers.

Seeking your response.

Rajguru M. Mohan
      Participant

Hi all,
      Here are links from where I have get some basic idea of these technologies,
      http://www.nasa.gov/directorates/heo/scan/engineering/technology/txt_opticalcomm_challenges.html
      https://www.picoquant.com/products/category/photon-counting-detectors
      http://rmdinc.com/photon-counting-detectors/

Hope you will post more information and links about above topics.

Regards,
      rajguru

Remo De Suza
        Participant

Hello Rajguru.
        Can this be implemented in optisystem?

Regards
        Remo

prakash jat
      Participant

hi rajguru
      see this video on youtube , you will learn totally

nagesh kuknoor
        Participant

Hi Prakash,

Thank you for sharing the video. It is just amazing. I loved the topic.

Regards

Remo De Suza
        Participant

Hello Prakash.
        Thank you for sharing this video. Can it be implemented in optisystem? I am looking forward to your response.

Regards
        Remo

nagesh kuknoor
      Participant

Hello Rajguru,
      Indeed a every interesting topic. I think it is somewhere related to photo detectors because if logically you see photodetectors also count number of photons which is our information. Anyways nice topic.

Thanks

jyoti raina
        Spectator

hi rajguru sir..

i too agree with nagesh sir..you can relate both..anyways a good question as mentioned by all.
        with regards
        jyoti

nagesh kuknoor
          Participant

Hi Jyoti,
          Thank you for your appreciation but i was just putting my point of view. May be both are two different things but i was putting my perspective. Anyway thanks.
          Thanks

Domail Singh
      Participant

Hello All,

Very good topic started by Rajguru. Also thanks to Prakash Jat for sharing such informative video about the same. I hope it is very helpful to Rajguru.
      Regards
      Domail

Manoj Kumar
      Participant

Hi Rajguru,

I agree with Domail singh that it is a very important topic… Also thanks Prakash Jat for providing the useful information…

Thanks and regards

shafeen al yasin
      Participant

hello All,
      I agree with Nagesh here becuase both have same work. Anyway interesting topic and i hope someone continues with it..

Regards
      Shafeen

nagesh kuknoor
        Participant

Hi Shafeen,
        Thanks for appreciation. As i mentioned i was putting my point of view it can be wrong but anyway thanks.

gaurav rajput
      Participant

Hi Prakash,

Its a very nice video which you have uploaded……. Thanks once again..

Regards

Ankita Sharma
      Participant

Hi Prakash,

Thanks for providing the valuable information… A very nice video..

Regards
      Ankita

Rajguru M. Mohan
      Participant

Hi Remo,
      I don’t think Photon counting detectors and other related latest technologies like photomultiplier tubes (PMT),
      Hybrid photomultiplier detectors (HPD) and Single Photon Avalanche Diodes (SPAD) will be implemented in optisystem till date.

We hope this would be implemented in near future.
      Regards,
      Rajguru

Remo De Suza
        Participant

Hi Rajguru.
        I thought you may be have something like that and that is the reason you posted here on the forum. Anyway thanks for sharing it.

Regards
        Remo

Rajguru M. Mohan
      Participant

Hi prakash Jat,
      Thank you very much for sharing such important for this latest technplogies.
      I have seen the whole video, it is really a important and valuable information on photon-counting-detectors.

Krister Shalm of university of waterloo, has explained the mentioned topic in brief.

“It is impossible to make anything hackerproof because hackers are ingenious”— great word by him.

Regards,
      Rajguru

Rajguru M. Mohan
      Participant

Thank you all,
      For your appreciation and consent, really it is very important and challenging topic in the fields of optical communication.
      It is started by NASA.

Please share more information on these topics.

Thank and reards,
      Rajguru

nagesh kuknoor
        Participant

You are welcome Rajguru. It is part of discussion.

Regards

prakash jat
      Participant

hi friends

you can try it for multiphics software as well as write matlab code of SEPD and interface it with WONAT software ( i hope it will make more robustic FSO link). And matlab code of SEPD is not much tedious work

prakash jat
      Participant

hi rajguru
      we can’t say about hackerproof because every civilization would have their own mind

nagesh kuknoor
      Participant

Hi Prakash,

Are you sure that we can implement it in optisystem. It sounds somewhat cool.

prakash jat
      Participant

no nagesh

deepak jha
      Participant

Hi all,

A very nice video by Prakash jatt..
      Thanks

Manoj Kumar
      Participant

Hi Deepak,

Indeed a very nice video.. Cheers..

Rahul Tiwari
      Participant

Hi Prakash,

A very nice video.. Thanks gor the information

Regards

HI ALL..

It was a nice part of information..The video was also helpful..Thank you all.

Regards

Rajguru M. Mohan
      Participant

Hi,
      As we know Photon counting applications have had decisive impact on advances in a wide range of fields, from
      astronomy and metallurgy to environmental protection, health diagnostics, medical analysis and imaging,
      and – perhaps most spectacularly – biomedical research.
      Photon counting has played an essential role in mapping the human genome.

Rajguru M. Mohan
      Participant

Three Technologies
      Scientists can choose between three different devices for the most advanced photon counting:
      Single Photon Counting Modules (SPCMs) – A SPCM counts photons with an avalanche photodiode
      (APD). An APD is a solid-state, silicon-based device that converts photons into electrons in a dramatically
      different way than an ordinary photodiode. In ordinary photodiodes, the photon/electron ratio is one to
      one. In APDs, however, these photon-generated electrons can excite more electrons, which creates an
      avalanche effect, resulting in an internal gain that can be adjusted with the bias,
      e.g. 1 to 1000, and results in a signal that is proportional to the light’s intensity.
      PerkinElmer’s Photon Counting Technologies
      The PerkinElmer SPCM uses an APD that is 200 microns in diameter and operates at 20 volts above
      breakdown voltage to generate a gain of 108. Since a gain at this level cannot be sustained without
      burning the device, the SPCM comes with electronic circuitry that monitors and repeatedly quenches the
      current with a TTL pulse. Operation in this photon-counting mode is extremely fast, allowing users to
      count a photon every 50 nanoseconds.

Thanks

Rajguru M. Mohan
      Participant

Hi,
      There is another technologies for photon counting technologies:
      Channel Photomultipliers (CPMs) – A CPM is actually an advanced monolithic version of the traditional
      glass photomultiplier tube (PMT), which can also be used to count photons. Photons entering the CPM
      produce electrons that are accelerated toward an anode through a multi-curved, semi-conductive vacuum
      channel. As the electrons hit the channel walls, secondary electrons are produced, which, in turn, produce
      still more. This creates an avalanche effect much like the APD.

Also, Charged Coupled Devices (CCDs) – A CCD is an array of ordinary (non-avalanche) photodiodes that
      feeds information to a set of read-out electronics. Unlike other detectors, where each photon directly
      generates a single count of electrons almost instantaneously, the electrons produced in a CCD first charge
      a capacitor. Users can then read out the intensity of light, which is proportional to the amount of charge.
      Although CCDs are not specifically designed for photon counting, they can perform this function when
      thermo-electrically cooled to reduce dark current and noise.

Thanks

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.