Home Forums SYSTEM optical MIMO

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      gherbi mohamed
      Participant

hi,
      can anyone help me to build a simple example for MIMO system on fibre optic (multimode) under optisystem.
      best regards

prakash jat
      Participant

hi gherbi

generate multiple copy of signal through fork and then transmit through different different mm fiber after that combine back using power combiner

gherbi mohamed
      Participant

thanks a lot

Hello,
      i want to ask if you were able to implement MIMO system in optiwave.
      If so can you please upload the screenshot of your design. I would be very grateful to you people.

Thanking in advance.

gherbi mohamed
      Participant

ok

Hi gherbi

I think you can do it even by using a single transmitter and a single reciever.What i mean is that you use a tunable transmitter.The same transmitter can be used for transmitting different wavelengths and use a tunable reciever at the reciever end which can be used to tune itself to a particular wavelength.
      Although the best way is to use multiple transmitters and recievers but tunability will not limit the number of MIMO transrecievers in your design

Hope it helps

Regards

Rajguru M. Mohan
      Participant

Hi,
      As Current MMF standards, such as OM3 and OM4, use fibers with core radii of 50 µm, allowing hundreds of modes to propagate.
      In addition, fibers with large radii can support higher
      peak powers, relative to fibers with small radii, while still operating in the
      linear regime. MMF has practical advantages over single-mode fiber (SMF)
      such as increased alignment tolerances and ease of packaging,
      which can lead to significant cost savings. The main drawback
      of MMF is the multimode nature of the fiber that gives rise to
      modal dispersion and limits its bandwidth to a fraction of what
      can be achieved with SMF. Though it seems that little can be
      done about the inherent modal dispersion associated with the
      multimode nature of fibers, researchers have achieved improvements
      in the bandwidth–distance product of MMF using several
      approaches such as selective modal excitation.

Thanks,

umer ashraf wani
      Participant
      Karan Ahuja
      Spectator

Hi Gherbi

For MIMO implementation you need to consider that an optical multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) communication system uses multiple LED-based transmitters and multiple receivers to transfer parallel streams of data. As compared to a single-transmitter single-receiver system using the same amount of signal power, a MIMO system can provide higher data rates with fewer transmission errors and better reliability.
      I am attaching a snapshot of general design of a MIMO system I hope this will your cause.

Thanks

Attachments:
        Karan Ahuja
        Spectator

Also i want to mention that there are three different types of optical MIMO systems:
        1. λ-MIMO: This system is implemented using a single luminaire composed of LEDs that emit different colors of light. Each LED acts as a different transmitter. Thus the parallel data streams can be transmitted over different colors of light. The receiver for this system implements optical filters to recover the signals transmitted over each color.
        2. s-MIMO: This system is implemented using multiple luminaires that are placed at different locations on the ceiling. Each luminaire is composed of the same type of LED and thus emits the same color of light. In this case, the data streams are separated spatially because they each originate at a different spatial location. A ‘camera-like’ receiver can then separate the different signal streams and recover data.
        3. h-MIMO: This system is a hybrid of the above two systems. It uses multiple luminaires, each composed of different colored LEDs to transmit signals that are separated in color and space. A ‘camera-like’ receiver that can distinguish different colors can then separate the different signal streams and recover data.

Karan Ahuja
          Spectator

I want to add that MIMO communications over optical fibers is an attractive solution to the ever increasing demand for Internet bandwidth. It is presented that a propagation model that takes input-output coupling into account for MIMO MMF systems. A coupling strategy was suggested and simulations showed that the capacity of an Nt × Nt MIMO system over a fiber with M Nt modes can approach the capacity of an ideal fiber with Nt modes. A random input-output coupling model was used to describe the behavior of the system when the design of the input-output couplers is not available. The results illustrated that, under random coupling, the capacity of an Nt × Nt MIMO system over a fiber with M Nt modes is almost equal to that of an Nt-mode fiber.
          You may refer to these papers for implementation.
          https://arxiv.org/pdf/1304.0422.pdf

optical MIMO

Thanks

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.