Home Forums FDTD Optical fiber sensing

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Hello everyone,

I wanted to know, if anyone is doing some work on refractive index sensing through any type of optical fiber. On Optifdtd do we have option to get the output in terms of wavelength vs intensity or any other terms for this work.

Maybe I am not clear about the question.

Thank you

Damian Marek
      Participant

In OptiFDTD using an Observation area it is you could detect the transmission as a function of wavelength through a fiber (power spectrum).

Damian, as you said ” using an Observation area it is you could detect the transmission as a function of wavelength through a fiber”. Where to find the fiber first for modelling.

Damian Marek
          Participant

You will have to make a profile and draw out your fiber first. Recommend trying out the first tutorials at:

Introduction

Once you see an example making a profile should be straight forward.

I worked on photonic crystals simulation in 2-D. For optical fiber, do the linear waveguide has to be used as optical fiber.

Damian Marek
          Participant

For a photonic crystal fiber you would use the photonic crystal tool to make what is called a quasi 3D crystal. A photonic crystal with 2D periodicity and which is extruded on the remaining axis. You would not be able to make the entire fiber from the profile manager, but you would use a profile to pattern the crystal.

Regards

Perhaps you mean the cross-section of fiber

If any opti-designer file based on optical fiber is there, please provide me.

Hi damian,
          Please answer my query soon.

perveen akhter
      Participant

Hi Damian,
      I am trying to use plane wave input at 45 deg. but I feel that won’t cover my whole layout, is there any way to compensate for that, or can I move the center of input to at one end of x intsead of x=0.
      thanks,
      Perveen.

Damian Marek
        Participant

I don’t think we have an exact sample file of that type. You want to inject a plane wave at 45 degrees to an optical fiber? What is the transverse shape (Rectangular)?

If you double click the Input Plane you can change the offset of the input pulse and also the half width of the pulse.

perveen akhter
          Participant

no, its grating on silicon substrate.to see the coupling, I am trying input at different angles, and I am using plane wave GMCW.

Damian Marek
          Participant

Hi,

I have a 2D sample file that actually might be similar to this. From the pic you can that if you double click input plane and go to the Transverse info pane you can change where your power is centered and its angle.

Regards

perveen akhter
          Participant

Hi there, I am getting a lot of negative absorption (r+t>1). I changed the size and positions of the input but its still not working. can someone please help me. files are attached

perveen akhter
      Participant

if you have any sample layout that would be great.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.