Home Forums FDTD Nonlinear Kerr Material and Lorentz Dispersion (urgent)

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Malik Javaid
      Participant

Hi all,

I am planning on simulating a 2D nonlinear photonic crystal using silicon dioxide as my material, and there are four choices for the type of nonlinear model to create: 2nd order, 3rd order, Kerr, and Raman. When I select the Kerr model, it gives me three parameters to enter:
      -Relative permittivity
      -Response Time
      -Permittivity
      I found the relative permittivity of silicon dioxide, but I am unable to find the response time and Kerr permittivity anywhere. Can anyone send me a source which lists these values for silicon dioxide? If not, can you explain to me how I might be able to find these values, not only for silicon dioxide but for any material?

Also, due to the Kerr intensity-dependent equation, n = n(0) + n(2)I where n is the refractive index, n(0) is the linear refractive index, n(2) is the nonlinear refractive index, and I is the intensity, it is necessary for me to know the linear and nonlinear refractive indices of silicon dioxide in order to determine the intensity of the input wave. Is there any way for me to find these values using the permittivity and response time values stated above?

One final question, to simulate the nonlinear 2D photonic crystal, would I need to turn Lorentz Dispersion on or off? If I need to turn it on, how do I determine which values I need to input in order to simulate the photonic crystal correctly?

Thanks so much for your attention

Scott Newman

Hello Malik,

Both the 3rd order nonlinearity and the Kerr are in fact models for Kerr nonlinearity. The difference being that the one labelled Kerr uses a model that requires the response time. The 3rd order nonlinear model simply requires the Relative linear permitivity and the 3rd order susceptibility, both of which I believe you have.

In regards to your question about the Lorentz dispersion, you would only need to enable the option if you would like the linear permittivity to be modeled using a Lorentz equation to capture material dispersion. If a constant linear permitivity is acceptable then you do not need this feature. If you wish to use Lorentz dispersion you would need to perform a fit of your epsilon_linear data as a function of wavelength to the Lorentz model to get your coefficients.

The latest version of the product provides users with the ability to load in an epsilon versus wavelength data set and have it fit to the Lorentz-Drude model.

Scott

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.