Home Forums FDTD Non-homogeneous anisotropic media simulation

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Artur Geivandov
      Participant

Dear colleagues,
      we deal with simulation of new phenomena in liquid crystalline hybrid systems. As you know in most cases liquid crystal is non-homogeneous anisotropic media having a spatial distribution of complex dielectric permittivity tensor. Could you, please, add a function of setting the distribution of dielectric permittivity tensor in each point? It could be a valuable point for buying OptiwaveFDTD 64-bit version.

Kind regards,
      Artur

Scott Newman

Hello Artur,

We always appreciate feedback from our users and take this kind of request seriously when deciding on future release plans, so thank you for taking the time to post. The native capability to model these kinds of systems would be beneficial to OptiFDTD and is something worth considering, though is limited to very specific applications.

In the mean time I believe we actually can design the system you are describing through the use of our scripting capabilities, provided that the tensor you are looking to model is diagonal. To do this you would create a series of “materials” that had different permittivity tensors defined within the profile designer. You could then run a script that would assign these predefined materials either to small spheres assigned to each grid point(a computationally costly proposition depending on the size and resolution of your system) or create structures that would mimic the size and shape of individual structures within your crystal and assign the material to them.

I hope this gives you a chance to try to model your systems and encourage you to share how this worked out for you.

Regards,
      Scott

Artur Geivandov
      Participant

Dear Scott,

Thank you for your prompt feedback!
      Let me explain a little further. My colleague has studied thoroughly the scripting capabilities and found them not sufficient for the task we deal with. In most cases, the diagonal tensor does not describe correctly the liquid crystal director distribution and relevant light incidence and polarization conditions. Also, the program lacking the ability to set arbitrary light source polarization state and incidence angle. Thus, many tasks of crystal optics and LC optics cannot be modeled now.

I hope you will implement the features I describe in some further software releases.

Kind regards,
      Artur

Scott Newman

Dear Artur,

I am glad to hear your colleague had a chance to review the scripting capabilities. As stated previously, I appreciate your feedback and will be taking it under advisement as we move forward with development planning.

Regards,
      Scott

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.