Home Forums FIBER Fiber mode solver theory

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Dear all,

For my master’s graduation project, I have been working on fiber mode calculations. Recently, I ran into <a href=”https://optiwave.com/optifiber-manuals/optical-fiber-fiber-mode-solvers/&#8221; rel=”noopener” target=”_blank”>an article on the Optiwave support site</a> that seems to solve some of the numerical troubles I had been having with solving the dispersion relations. However, implementing the model in Wolfram Mathematica (see attachment), yields different results than in the article.

I tried the given example geometry: a step index fiber with radius 2 um, core index 1.46, cladding index 1.45, order 0 and wavelength 0.5 um. The resulting effective indices should be about 1.45495, but my calculations give two indices around 1.45875. On top of that, the equations seem to be a few orders of magnitude smaller.

Thank you in advance for your help, I hope you can point me in the right direction.

Ahmad Atieh

Dear Tommie,
      we advice you to try to download the 30-days free trail version of OptiFiber from Optiwave’s website, then model the fiber design, check the results and compare.
      Regards,
      Ahmad

Ahmad Atieh

Dear Tommie,
      we advice you to try to download the 30-days free trail version of OptiFiber from Optiwave’s website, then model the fiber design, check the results and compare.
      Regards,
      Ahmad

Sawyer Ge

Dear Ahmad,
      Thank you for your response. I have indeed modelled the geometry using the OptiFiber software, and the resulting effective indices agree with the plot in the article at https://optiwave.com/optifiber-manuals/optical-fiber-fiber-mode-solvers/&#8221 (namely, about 1.45495).

However, for my thesis, I am more interested in the mathematics rather than a simulation. Therefore, I tried using the formulas from the linked article to calculate the index, but this does not result in that same value of 1.45495. This means that either my implementation is incorrect (which I’ve double-checked using that Mathematica file) or there is a mistake in the OptiWave support article.
      Do you happen to know if there is indeed a mistake?
      With kind regards,
      Tommie

Dear Ahmad,
      Thank you for your response. I have indeed modelled the geometry using the OptiFiber software, and the resulting effective indices agree with the plot in the article at https://optiwave.com/optifiber-manuals/optical-fiber-fiber-mode-solvers/&#8221 (namely, about 1.45495).

However, for my thesis, I am more interested in the mathematics rather than a simulation. Therefore, I tried using the formulas from the linked article to calculate the index, but this does not result in that same value of 1.45495. This means that either my implementation is incorrect (which I’ve double-checked using that Mathematica file) or there is a mistake in the OptiWave support article.
      Do you happen to know if there is indeed a mistake?
      With kind regards,
      Tommie

Ahmad Atieh

Dear Tommie,
      Unfortunately, we don’t have the time to check your analysis and the Mathematica file. I would assure you that OptiFiber software is being used by many fiber manufacturers over the world for long time, one example is Corning.
      Please email me (ahmad.atieh@optiwave.com) your contact information & your institution and we’ll check if your institution has valid maintenance and support license to allocate some time to look into your analysis.
      Regards,
      Ahmad

Ahmad Atieh

Dear Tommie,
      Unfortunately, we don’t have the time to check your analysis and the Mathematica file. I would assure you that OptiFiber software is being used by many fiber manufacturers over the world for long time, one example is Corning.
      Please email me (ahmad.atieh@optiwave.com) your contact information & your institution and we’ll check if your institution has valid maintenance and support license to allocate some time to look into your analysis.
      Regards,
      Ahmad

Sawyer Ge

Dear Ahmad,
      That’s no problem, thank you for your time. I believe my university does not have a license, but I will check, and if they do, will contact you for sure.
      Have a good day!
      Regards,
      Tommie

Dear Ahmad,
      That’s no problem, thank you for your time. I believe my university does not have a license, but I will check, and if they do, will contact you for sure.
      Have a good day!
      Regards,
      Tommie

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.