Home Forums SYSTEM FBG and DCF Q-factor

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Taha Ali
      Participant

Both dispersion compensation techniques (FBG and DCF) has three schemes (pre, post, and mixed). In terms of Q-factor and Bit error rate, which one of them is better. A lot of papers discussed this issue and the had different results even most of them uses OptiSystem.

Alessandro Festa
      Participant

Hi Taha,

I know there are different papers and do not always agree on which solution is the best. I think the reason is that it depends on the particular configuration…for example for high launch power nonlinearities have a role together with dispersion, and this changes the picture.
      If I remember well, Optisystem examples show that mixed is the best solution, correct?

Ashu verma
      Participant

Hello Taha Ali
      According to your question about performance of DCF and FBG,i am agree with Alessandro that it vary for some systems and configuration.There are lot of research articles regarding this particular topic however different results shown about best performance of DCF and FBG.According to my knowledge,DCF has around 93% efficient to reduce pulse width of dispersed signal while FBG have 73% efficiency. Also DCF is costlier than FBG. I have given link of ↓ optiwave dispersion compensation example and a link of paper describing pulse width reduction efficiency of FBG and DCF

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25322426

Dispersion Compensation Schemes – A System Perspective

Ashu verma
      Participant

I just want to add that according to optisystem dispersion compensation example symmetric compensation came out to be the best but at the higher powers post dispersion compensation performs better.

gaganpreet Kaur
      Participant

DCF compensation is used periodically and folows the rule L1D1+L2D2=0 where L1 is length of the transmitting fiber having dispersion D1 and L2 is length of compensating DCF and D2 its dispersion.. obviouslt Q factor depends on system configuration and optimization used but DCF is used for long distance transmission systems.

Ashu verma
      Participant

Thank you Gaganpreet kaur explaining how to calculate dcf length according to SMF and adding your points

gaganpreet Kaur
        Participant

thanks i find this forum a good platform for knowledge sharing.

Taha Ali
      Participant

Thank you all. it’s very helpful information.

Ashu verma
      Participant

Welcome Taha Ali
      Its our pleasure to help and share knowledge with other members,Hope you got your answer from above discussion.Do not forget to share ideas and knowledge with all the other forum participants.Best of luck for your future research work.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.