Home Forums GENERAL eye opening penalty

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      aasif bashir dar
      Participant

hi all,

i have seen that , in many research papers they have evaluated and analysed the network in terms of eye openiny penalty(EOP).
      for convenience, please refer,
      1.http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0030401801017369
      2.http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/Xplore/defdeny.jsp?url=http%3A%2F%2Fieeexplore.ieee.org%2Fstamp%2Fstamp.jsp%3Ftp%3D%26arnumber%3D1601338%26userType%3Dinst&denyReason=-133&arnumber=1601338&productsMatched=null&userType=inst

i want know how to evaluate it in optisystem 14.

with regards

alistu
      Participant

Hi Aasif,

Do you mean to say that the analysis based on eye opening penalty may be different in OptiSystem 14 than it is in the older versions of OptiSystem? If so, can you please elaborate more on that? To be more specific, could you please tell what you have experienced using it in OptiSystem 14?

Regards

aasif bashir dar
      Participant

hi alistu,

i mean how to do it. i have never done it .

with rgards

alistu
        Participant

Power penalty means when a parameter in the system changes and results in degradation of the eye-opening, the amount of power that compensates for the degradation is called “power penalty”. For this, you would have to do the simulation before the change in that certain parameter (implementation1), and then after that change in that parameter (implementation2). Then you should increase the power in implementation2 to the point where eye diagram becomes the same as implementation1. The value of the power you have added is the power penalty.

aasif bashir dar
      Participant

hi alistu
      thanku very much for reply
      itz is great and lucid explanation for you.
      but i am in confusion that some times increse in power itself degrades the system performance. like in case of high non linearities, increse in system further degrates BER and eye opening.

please please alistu explain it further,

with regards

alistu
        Participant

That is right. The increase in the power may cause system performance degradation due to fiber nonlinearities from a point on. However, the calculations should be done with the amount of power entering the line having a margin from the power threshold which introduces nonlinearities to the system.

Aabid Baba
      Participant

Alistu i wish to ask if you mean that eye opening is related to increment in power and for that is it known as eye opening penalty?

alistu
        Participant

Eye opening is a characteristic that is used to evaluate system performance. Wider eye opening makes the system performance better by making decision making easier. And increase in power is a way to make system performance better and its effect can be seen in the eye diagram.

Regards

aasif bashir dar
      Participant

hi all,

thanku alistu for discussing and sharing your valuable thoughts.

but please can you provide me some example in optisystem to calculate eye opening penalty.or provide some reference or links
      but example win optisystem will be very helpful for me.

thanku alistu.

with regards

alistu
        Participant

You’re welcome Aasif. I don’t think there are any examples regarding power penalty on OptiSystem samples. And the papers I have found only show the results. But I think you would be able to make your simulation if you have fully understood my explanation. Otherwise, I will be happy to explain more.

Regards

Aabid Baba
      Participant

Thank you Alistu,
      I completely agree with you. Increasing power improves eye opening and eye width but at the same time non-linearities come in as asif mentioned. i was eager to know about the term eye opening penalty. Word Penalty made me to think about it as something very destructive phenomenon But than you very much for explaining it.
      Best regards

alistu
        Participant

You’re welcome Aabid.

Regards

aasif bashir dar
      Participant

hi alistu and aabid,
      thank u both of you for showing interest in topic and replying.

but i wanted some more help with some basic example in optisystem on eye opening penalty , so that i could apply such concept on my thesis worki hope alistu will provide uss with some example.

with regards

alistu
        Participant

You can pick almost any example in OptiSystem and calculate the power penalty in it. But first you have to determine what is the parameter you would like to change to calculate the power penalty. Determine that parameter and you have the example you are looking for. I refer you to the first paper you yourself have introduced as an example.

Regards

Aabid Baba
      Participant

you are welcome asif but i myself want to know more about it. Let us hope we get something substantial regarding this topic.
      Please share if you would be able to implement it. An .osd file with little explanation would do.

Regards

alistu
        Participant

Hi Aabid,

It is not as if a file can be attached in which the power penalty can be or has been calculated, because power penalty is not a specific implementation so as to be considered in an .osd file. You would just have to change the power to reach the BER you used to get before the change of a parameter. It can be done in almost any system.

Regards

aasif bashir dar
      Participant

hi aabid and alistu,

thanks for your reply
      i got it abit.
      suppose in simple design where we have TX, channel and Rx. now if i will increse the length of fiber, the eye opening will become smaller and smaller.

now i have to increase power at the tranmitter end so as to get the original eye opening. this may be called eye opening penalty due to increse in length.

am i right alistu?

with regards

alistu
        Participant

Indeed you have understood it. And in the example you mentioned, the parameter for whose change you are calculating power penalty is the fiber length. However, in the first example you have attached, the power penalty has been considered for the change in the bandwidth of a filter in the implementation.

Regards

aasif bashir dar
      Participant

hi alistu ,
      thank you very very much for your guidence. i appreciate your explaining skils and information sharing capbabilities
      thank you aabid as weel for showing his interest in dicussing it

with regards

alistu
        Participant

You’re welcome Aasif. I hope they have been really useful.

Regards

Aabid Baba
      Participant

Okay FINE. Thank you asif thank you alistu.
      I got it. Thanks asif for easy explanation. Now if i understand we can calculate it by taking any parameter be it quality factor or bit error rate with reference to power. We can calculate it by calculating power used to compensate that parameter. Am i right??
      Regards

alistu
        Participant

The parameter used for the calculation should be a parameter in the system, and the BER, Q-factor or eye opening are just parameters which need to be taken into consideration as a way to evaluate the system performance. Even though your explanation was not accurate, I believe you have already got it.

Regards

aasif bashir dar
      Participant

yeah aabid
      you are welcome aabid and you are absolutey right as per my understanding.

the term eye openiy penalty (EOP) seem to be sound.but it was simple and alistu made it much simpler for understanding.

with reagrds

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.