Home Forums SYSTEM Erbium Doped Fiber

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Pablo Escalante
      Participant

Hello everyone:

I’m currently validating experimental results that I got from an erbium doped fiber amplifier manufactured by the OptoSci company. This amplifier uses a MetroGain M5 fiber of 12 m and I have the absorption and emission coefficients. The problem is that when I performing a OptiSystem simulation I get big differences. The only significant change I’ve made in my project is to add the Cross-section file.
      Am I doing something wrong?
      I send you a graph of my results, a picture of my project and format of the Cross-section file.
      Best regards,
      Pablo

Damian Marek
      Participant

Hi Pablo,

Thanks for posting! Could you try re-attaching your project file and cross section file please?

Regards

Pablo Escalante
      Participant

Thanks Damian, I send you my project and Cross-section file.

Regards

Damian Marek
        Participant

Hi Pablo,

The gain and absorption graphs are looking correct, it just seems like a much lower power ASE. Have you verified that the Core radius, Er doping radius etc are all correct?

I think the difference may simply come from the different resolution bandwidths used. In your experiment on your optical spectrum analyzer what resolution bandwidth did you use? And did you use the default setting for OptiSystem?

If you are not sure what resolution bandwidth means there is another forum post on the topic at:

PSD

Let me know if this helps!

Pablo Escalante
      Participant

Thank you very much Damian!

I modified the resolution bandwidth and i improved my results. The core radius, Er doping radius, Er ion density and Er metastable lifetime are the default values. I sent an email to the manufacturer requesting such values. If you have some of these values or saturation parameter would be a great help for me.

Regards

Damian Marek
      Participant

Hi Pablo,

Glad I could help, unfortunately we don’t have the data for these types of fibers. I was looking at the specs the vendor gives and they seem similar to the default options in OptiSystem. I think your best bet is to wait for a response from them as some of the parameters were slightly different metrics. Let me know when you get a response and I can help you fit them to our model.

Regards

Pablo Escalante
      Participant

Hello again Damian,

I have the MetroGain M5 fiber parameters (Core radius, Er doping radius, Er ion density and Numerical aperture) and I improved my results even more (attached image). I know that in my experiments there is loss in the connectors but I wonder if there is some parameter that I’m not counting on my simulation to help me adjust my results.

Regards

Attachments:
        Damian Marek
        Participant

Good to hear from you,

Could you attach your project again with the updated settings? It’s looking much closer now. And what was the resolution bandwidth that you used for your experimental results? I would like to reproduce these results exactly!

Thanks

Pablo Escalante
      Participant

Thanks for your help Damian

I send you the project with the updated parameters. In my experimental results I used a resolution bandwidth of 1 nm (RBW in p_18OSA.jpg).

Regards

Damian Marek
        Participant

I will be travelling for the next couple weeks, but I’ll see if I can find any problems!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.