Home Forums FDTD effective refractive index

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      zulfadzli yusoff
      Participant

Hi,

I need to calculate effective refractive index along a fiber taper in order to calculate the localize Brillouin scattering parameters along the fiber taper. Is FDTD the best program to use?

Lizzie Li
      Participant

OptiFiber can calculate the effective refractive index of fiber taper. And you can define the taper you want to simulate.

saima buzdar
      Participant

Hi
      Is the Modal index different from the effective refractive index ?
      if yes then what does show the modal index value like :Mode 1 ( 1.35890436, 0.00000283 )

Thanks

Lizzie Li
      Participant

Yes, mode index is different from the effective refractive index. After defining the fiber, you can get the effective refractive index by calculating modes.

saima buzdar
      Participant

In OptiFDTD after modes calculation we get data like this:

[ Modes ] [ Modal Index ] [ Polarization ]
      Mode 1 ( 1.35890436, 0.00000283 ) FVect TE
      Mode 2 ( 1.35909016, -0.00000458 ) FVect TM
      i want to know that what does modal index show?
      How Effective refractive index is calculated in FDTD ?

Thanks

Steve Dods
      Participant

The definition of Modal Index seems to be consistent and well defined. Modal index is the propagation constant of the mode divided by the free-space wavenumber, k ( k = 2 Pi / wavelength ). Since Modal Index is the quotient of two wave numbers it is dimensionless, like refractive index. Effective Index is sometimes used to mean Modal Index, but that is a bad choice of words because Effective Index is a term used for other things too. Effective Index sometimes means a number that will be useful in characterizing a material when a 2D simulation will be used to approximate propagation on a 3D structure. That is why I always use the term Modal Index when referring to a number that represents the propagation constant of a mode. Less confusing/ ambiguous. As for how Modal Index is calculated in OptiFDTD, well, that is a long story. You can find it in Optiwave OptiMode documentation.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.