Home Forums SYSTEM Difference Between Single Drive and Dual Drive Modulators

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Abigail Rivadeneira
      Participant

Hello

In OptisSystem there are two kind of modulators that are giving me problems:

Dual Drive MZ Absorption-Phase
      Single Drive MZ Absorption-Phase

In theory Dual Drive modulators are better than Single Dive modulators because they can control chirp frequency that Single Drive modulators no. My problem is in simulations, both modulators behave similarly, and there are cases where the single drive modulator performs even better in the same scenarios. Please if someone can explain the reason for this behavior.

If the both modulators behave the same, why bother to tell them apart?

Thanks

Ahmad Atieh

Dear Susana,
      There are differences between the single drive and dual drive MZ Absorption-Phase modulators. Please refer to the datasheet of each component for more information on the theory used in each component. Note that for the single drive you connect either voltage V1 or V2 to ground, which will affect the overall modulation response shown in the equation in the datasheet.
      I don’t mind checking your project layout while using both components to address the difference. Please send me your project as a zip file to my email ahmad.atieh@optiwave.com
      Regards,
      Ahmad

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.