Home Forums SYSTEM Bi-directional Fiber Transmission and Optical Delays

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      muhammad jawad
      Participant

Dear Friends
      Please let me know what is the importance of use of optical delays in bi-directional fiber transmission.Also tell me what will be the values of delays.Also tell me the delays will be used at both transmissions or at any one transmission???

Jawad,
      In principle, delays are used when you design a system having different components with different response time. So in order to make one device to be able to respond to the other you have to add some delay to the faster one so the other device can catch the signal and respond accordingly.
      The value of the delays depends on the devices in the system and varies from one design to another!

hope that helps,
      Mohamed Abouseif

muhammad jawad
      Participant

Ok thanks for your reply M.Abouseif
      Plz make some things more clear for me
      1.delays may be used in either of two directions or compulsory for both the directions to add?
      2.How we decide how much will be the value of delay to run the bidirectional simulation as i noticed that if “0 delay is set at both the delay unit in both direction” is used in a very simple bidirectional transmission system using bidirectional fiber then there is out put at both output ports of the fiber but if one delay is 0 while other is 1 then there will be output in one port while no output at other port???
      Plz elaborate

Hi Jawad,
      1. you can use a delay component wherever you want either in one or the two direction according to your design.
      2. the delay value is specified according to the relative response time (speed) of the system components. For example, in general if the Tx system sends data every 1 ns but the Rx could receive the data and interpret it within 1.1 ns so the Tx design has to put at least .1 ns delay to consider the Rx response time, and so on. that is the concept.

thanks
      Mohamed Abouseif

muhammad jawad
      Participant

Thanks a lot Muhammad Abouseif
      Now the concept have cleared
      Regards

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.