Home Forums GENERAL Add Component Vs Combiner Vs Criculator

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Atul Sharma
      Participant

Hello Everyone. Greetings from my side.

I wish to ask here if we can think of using power combiner instead of Add component. Is there any difference between using combiner and add module. Also what about the difference between using a power combiner and a circulator. Is there a provision of using circulator instead of the power combiner or the add component. What is the major difference between the three components?
      Looking forward to hear from you people.

Regards
      Atul Sharma

ZULKARNAIN
      Participant

hi atul sharma…
      as for as these three devices are concerned you can go through the lesson 7 of the optical tutorials for the basic difference between them.i am also attaching the link for your reference. hope it will help.

Lesson 7: Optical Amplifiers — Designing Optical Fiber Amplifiers and Fiber Lasers

Atul Sharma
        Participant

Hello Zulkarnain. Good afternoon and greetings from my side.

Well The link you have just provided does not have something specific i am looking for. My query was in context of the usage of all three components and if we can replace one component by another in some design and if the replacement of one component by other has some repercussions on the results. I want to check if there is some major difference among the three components. Anyway thank you so much for showing some interest and replying.

Regards
        Atul Sharma

ZULKARNAIN
      Participant

As for as optical circulator is concerned it is a component that can be used to separate optical power that travels in opposite directions in one single fiber.
      with regards.

Aabid Baba
      Participant

Hello Atul Sharma,
      As far as your query is concerned, it is a very valid query. Here i would like to mention that usually power combiner is used to combine power levels of the signals may be one two or n number of signals. It also depends on the system applications where and what for you are using it. Generally it is for combining of two or more signals leaving out power perspective. And as far as Add module is concerned, it is used to add another wavelength to the existing wavelength. In optisystem particularly , it has only two inputs. But generally speaking , it can very well serve you as a combiner ( not sure about power levels but it will combine your signal to existing signals ). I hope it is helpful.
      Regards

Atul Sharma
        Participant

Hello Aabid Baba. Good afternoon and greetings from my side.

First of all thank you so much for showing interest and also am grateful to you for a reply. I to large extent do agree with your threads and i believe this should be enough to make out a difference among all the three components. But now here i would like to ask you again that is it possible to replace a power combiner by a circulator in a design. I am currently using a power combiner ( as a signal Combiner ) in my design and do you think if i replace it with circulator then my results will remain the same/ get better or worst ?
        I will be looking forward for your response.

Regards
        Atul Sharma

Aabid Baba
      Participant

Sorry i missed on the circulator part. Its functionality is similar to both of the afore mentioned components to some extent. I dont know the MAJOR difference between the three but i feel all can serve you in similar way off adding signals to existing signals. You can think of circulator as an adder too. As far as i am concerned, i fell add module and circulator have almost similar functions but somehow it depends on your system implementation and how you are using both in your system design. I hope it is helpful.
      Regards

Atul Sharma
        Participant

Greetings.
        Thank you for explaining things. I to large extent do agree with your threads and i believe this should be enough to make out a difference among all the three components. But now here i would like to ask you again that is it possible to replace a power combiner by a circulator in a design. I am currently using a power combiner ( as a signal Combiner ) in my design and do you think if i replace it with circulator then my results will remain the same/ get better or worst ?

Regards
        Atul Sharma

Aabid Baba
          Participant

Hi Atul,
          I would personally suggest you to check the results and compare and see the difference. That is the only way to conclude anything.
          Regards

aasif bashir dar
      Participant

hi atul sharma,
      combiner…..combines two optical input signals.
      Optical circulator. You can control insertion loss, return loss, and isolation.
      WDM ADD.Adds a WDM channel and a WDM signal.

for the technical background of each of the coomponent , i suggest you to go through the component help in the optisytem….

with regards

Atul Sharma
        Participant

Hello Aasif Bashir Dar. Greetings from my side.
        Thank you for explaining things precisely. I would like to ask you too again that is it possible to replace a power combiner by a circulator in a design. I am currently using a power combiner ( as a signal Combiner ) in my design and do you think if i replace it with circulator then my results will remain the same/ get better or worst ?

Regards
        Atul Sharma

umer syed
      Participant

Ferrite isolators and circulators play a fundamental and valuable role in RF systems. They are passive, ferrite devices that act as traffic conductors for RF energy in a system, routing signals wherever a system designer needs them to go. Their ability to behave nonreciprocally
      (non reversible, allowing energy to pass in only one direction through the device) when RF energy is applied to them is very important for a number of applications.When selecting an isolator and/or circulator, it is important to understand some common electrical specifications that tells how well it is capable of performing the application. The three basic specifications for isolators and circulators are insertion
      loss, VSWR, and isolation.

Atul Sharma
        Participant

Hello Umer Syed. Good Afternoon and greetings from my side.

Well i think you have not read the question properly. You are posting something that can be googled too and is known already. Your reply is very irrelevant to this query and if you try to understand the query i am asking about the major difference between three components that are power combiner, circulator and WDM add component ,which all are passive. You are replying something that is more relevant in field of EMT as aasif bashir already mentioned. Anyways thank you for your anticipation.

Regards
        Atul Sharma

aasif bashir dar
      Participant

well umer syed.,,

i think you are taking the discussion to the different level…as you are mentioning the theoretical aspects of circulators and isolators related to microwave or electromagnetics…. despsitre the basic prinple remains the same… however we can not paint every thing with the same brush.

with regards

SAHIL SINGH
      Participant

Hi Atul Sharma,

The compents combiner,optical circulator and WDM ADD are used for performing different functions… It has already been very well explained by aasif the uses of these three components in the previous post…

Regards
      Sahil Singh

SAHIL SINGH
      Participant

Hi Atul Sharma,

Hope your query gets solved… And you are welcome…

Regards
      Sahil Singh

SAHIL SINGH
      Participant

Hi Atul Sharma,

I agree with your point of view that in theoretical basis we assume that the signal transmitted (with a definite bandwidth) has same transmission characteristics but In practical cases… You have mentioned it rightly that dispersion may be defined as the pulse broadening due to multi-path propagation…Thanks for such valuable information

Regards
      Sahil Singh

Atul Sharma
        Participant

You are welcome sahil singh. My pleasure.

aasif bashir dar
      Participant

hi atul sharma,
      greetings..
      i beleive that when there is problem in the understanding the component for me , i use the component help of optisytem…it is most useful…there may certain confusion still then you can discuss on the forum…

any ways i thing after this discussion you will have come to some conclusive remarks regarding your query..

with regards

Ranjeet Kumar
      Participant

Hi Atul,
      Do you refer WDM add component as ADD component. AS WDM add Adds a WDM channel and a WDM signal.
      Where as power Combiner combines evenly numberof inputs signals into a single output port.

Atul Sharma
        Participant

Hello Ranjeet. Greetings.

Yes that is what i meant. I wanted to know the difference. Anyways thanks for your reply and your efforts. It helped.

With Regards
        Atul Sharma

SAHIL SINGH
      Participant

Hello aabid baba,

Very nice information about the power combiner and a circulator… hope it helps Atul sharma to get his query resolved..

Regards
      Sahil Singh

HELLO ATUL SHARMA..

In my opinion you can easily replace a power combiner with a circulator but i think there maybe difference in results though because using a circulator does affect your results…
      Normally i have seen the circulator for adding and dropping wavelengths and in that process the results do get affected and moreover it you check the power levels after the circulator you will find the power level drops just in case of the WDM Mux..Still you can cross check by using it in place of power combiner and check for the results..

Thanks & regards

Aabid Baba
      Participant

Hello atul Sharma,
      I agree with fayiqa that we can easily replace a power combiner with a circulator but i think there maybe difference in results though because using a circulator does affect your results. Normally it is true that the circulator is used for adding and dropping wavelengths and in that process the results do get affected and moreover it you check the power levels after the circulator you will find the power level drops just in case of the WDM Mux. fayiqa has suggested you the right thing.
      Regards

Atul Sharma
      Participant

(y)

Atul Sharma
      Participant

Hello Fayiqa. Greetings From my side.

Thank you so much for the kind help.

Regards
      Atul sharma

Aabid Baba
      Participant

Thanks Atul.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.