Home Forums FDTD 1D photonic crystal

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Chukwudi Iheomamere
      Participant

Hi
      I am working on simple 1d photonic crystal with 2 types of materials stacking periodically.
      I am struggling to figure out how to input parameters, material properties and light source to get both reflection, transmission and optical bandgap.
      I have read the manual but honestly maybe a video or step by step tutor will help

Scott Newman

Chukwudi,

I encourage you to check out the webinars located at https://www.gotostage.com/channel/optiwave. I would specifically recommend the “Basic Examples & Analysis” as well as “Advanced Applications I”. These both provide a good starting point for learning to use the product.

Once you have reviewed those if you are still having issues you need to be more specific in what you are having issues with. What materials are you trying to load for example.

Scott

Chukwudi Iheomamere
      Participant

Thanks for the above links. Very helpful. My question is, for the spectrum analysis and power spectrum in post simulation. Which of these actually tell transmission/reflections in percentages or fractions? The vertical axis of the graphs I mean?

Scott Newman

Chukwudi,

This is why I directed you to the “Basic Examples & Analysis” webinar as in that video I specifically show how to obtain the reflection spectrum from the power spectrum utility. I am not sure what version of the product you are using because there is no “spectrum analysis” tool in the existing product.

In the power spectrum tool, if you make sure the normalized box is checked then the results are normalized to the power and as such they vertical axis is a fraction of the input power.

Scott

Chukwudi Iheomamere
      Participant

Thank you for the assistance, I like to know why normalizing will not let the power spectrum be less thank equal to 1? I still get power spectrum above 2 when simulating in the infrared spectra

Scott Newman

It would indicate that there is more power than what is from the source. There are a few circumstances in which this can happen. One example I can think of is if you are using an observation point located at a focus. Another would be a poorly configured source.

Could you please attached the design in question so I can take a look?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.