Home Forums GENERAL Effective area in optical fiber

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      albaity
      Participant

Dear All

What are the best of effective area in optical fiber ?

Best regards

Ibrahim luay al baity

Abhishek Shrama
      Participant

Hello albaity
      Effective area of optical fiber is a area over which E field(electric) is distributed.In case of optical fiber (Smf) A eff is ,what intensity of light or how much energy fiber carry without introducing non linear effects.Calculation of non linear phase shift can done using this

φ=2π/Λ n2 P/Aeff L

Where φ phase change due to non linearity

Λ is a wavelength
      n2 non-linear coefficient
      P power
      Aeff Effective area
      L length
      As effective area increase ,more phase change,more will be the linearities.You can use the fiber with low Aeff

Alessandro Festa
      Participant

There is no univoque answer, it depends on the applications. Lower Aeff means more nonlinearities, which is helpful if you want to use Raman gain (less pump power required if Aeff is low), but limits launch power due to SPM/XPM/Brilluoin. Instead, higher Aeff requires more power from Raman pumps, but you can launch more from the transmitters.
      As usual, there is a tradeoff between different factors so the best fiber depends on your system!

Ajay Vyas
      Participant

Thanks to both of you for the valuable answer. I want know when we increase the power of laser or length of fiber the nonlinearity will be increase than how we calculate or observed the order of nonlinearity.

Ravil
      Participant

Hi albaity,

I agree with the definitions and explanations given by Abhishek. The reasoning elaborated by Alessandro is quite informative: there is a trade-off between the amount of power you want to launch in your system and the requirements to nonlinearities that you have. Since the requirements for effective area are highly dependent on your design, please, let us know what kind do you have so we can give you more specified answer for your case (if you would like).

albaity
      Participant

thanks all

Mr. Ravil my project is incoherent OCDMA

BEST REGARDS

Alessandro Festa
        Participant

Are you using EDFAs only, or also Raman pumps and ROPAs in your design?

Ashu verma
      Participant

Thank you Abhishek for describing the concept.As SPM and XPM are phase dependent,it is very important to study the effective area.Also Alessandro gave good points also .

albaity
      Participant

Dear Mr Alessandro

I am use EDFA in my project

Ravil
      Participant

Hi albaity,

If you are using EDFA in your scheme and you are not taking advantage of non-linearities of any kind, it would be beneficially for you to use fibers with larger effective area. At the same time, you will be able to increase the power from transmitters without getting any non-linear responses or decrease the influence of non-linearities for a given power level at the transmitters. However, the presence of non-linearities can be used for dispersion compensation…

Alessandro Festa
      Participant

I agree with Ravil. Also his last point is interesting: nonlinearity interacts with dispersion, so that optimal residual dispersion for a given transmitter depends on the amount of SPM (and so depends on Aeff) that happens in the fiber.

albaity
      Participant

thanks Ravil

Ravil
      Participant

You are welcome albaity! Let me know if you have any further questions.
      Dear Alessandro, saying that I just wanted to highlight the relation of SPM and residual dispersion. This relation, as we know, can be used for compensation techniques…

Alessandro Festa
        Participant

Hi Ravil, yes, I understand your point 🙂

Alessandro

Fadil Paloi
      Participant

please can any one tell me how can I calculate the effective area of the SMF and DCF is there any equation or other way to calculate, I have SMF(Dispersion=16, D.Slop=0.08 and Effective area of 93 um^2, how can i get effective area of DCF (Dispersion=-80, D.Slop=0.26) how can I calculate Effective area for the DCF, Thanks

raja irfan
      Participant

hello dear
      Just like conventional SMF transmission, the performance of weakly
      coupled MCF transmission is also constrained by the nonlinear
      interference (NLI) noise, especially for long-haul transmission
      using advanced modulation formats. Thus, it is logical to increase
      effective area of individual core. However, there exists
      random crosstalk between adjacent cores during MCF transmission

Rajguru M. Mohan
      Participant

Hi albaity,
      As the effective area of the fundamental mode is a measure of the area over which the energy in the electric field is distributed.
      This parameter is important for DWDM applications.
      We know the effective area of a single mode optical fiber is obtained by this relation :

A eff= pi * W2( lambda )
      Typical single-mode fibers, as used e.g. for optical fiber communications,
      have effective mode areas of the order of 100 μm2.
      Large mode area fibers have several times higher mode areas, sometimes even above 1000 μm2.
      On the other hand, there are some photonic crystal fibers with mode areas below 10 μm2.

According to optiwave component library pdf file the effective area of fiber is chosen to 80 μm2.
      And it is fixed defaukt value.
      I think this value is best.

Seeking your response.

umer ashraf wani
      Participant

Hi,
        I want to add that similar to Mode Field Diameter(MFD), the effective area of the fundamental mode is a measure of the area over which the energy in the electric field is distributed.
        effective area in a single mode optical fiber determines how much energy the core can can carry without causing non-linear type signal losses. This parameter is important for DWDM applications.
        Whilst the effective area characteristics are frozen at the time of manufacture and as such are fixed for the life of the fiber, it is a parameter that is influenced by various properties within the fiber that do vary along its length, so it is useful to measure the effective area even within a cable manufacturing environment to ensure the consistency of the product.
        Hope it helps.
        Thanks

Karan Ahuja
      Spectator

Hi
      Effective area is another term describing the Mode Field Diameter (MFD), and it has a direct impact on the non-linear effects, those depends directly on the power density of the light injected into the fiber, i.e. the larger the effective area or (MFD), the lower the power density and so the lower impact of non-linear effects, and the smaller the effective area or (MFD), the higher the power density which leads to higher impact of the non-linear effects.
      The effective area of a standard singlemode fiber is about 80um, and can be as low as 30um for compensating fiber. the effective area is sometimes included in the description of the fiber name, such as Corning`s LEAF (Large Effective Area Fiber.

regards

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.